YORK, PA – The York College field hockey team put together a strong effort but failed to finish opportunities as the Dickinson Red Devils spoiled York's home opener, 2-1 in overtime on a warm Wednesday in York. The Spartans dominated the statistics but the Red Devils won the most important category as Emily Mycek notched the game-winner in the first OT. The Spartans are now 0-2 on the young campaign with a pair of tough losses.
Final Score: York 1, Dickinson 2 (OT)
Records: York 0-2, DC 1-1
Shots: York 17, DC 6
Shots on Goal: York 9, DC 5
Penalty Corners: York 10, DC 5
Saves: York 3, DC 8
How It Happened:
• York controlled the tempo in the opening quarter as they outshot Dickinson 4-0. Much like their opener against Rochester, the Spartans wouldn't get on the board as the game was scoreless through the first 15 minutes of play. York did have a stroke chance midway through the quarter but Dana Meehling pulled the attempt just wide.
• The Red Devils broke the scoreless tie in the 21st minute on their first shot of the game. Sierra Bobb hit the ball into the circle from the right side and Bridget Fontaine tipped the pass inside the left post for the 1-0 Dickinson lead. The goal came on Dickinson's first shot of the game.
• The third quarter was quiet for both offenses as there was just one shot on goal between the two teams.
• The Spartans came out in the fourth quarter and pressed the issue. The Red Devils got a huge defensive save by Ellie Werner 2:04 into the quarter. However, the Spartan offensive pressure finally led to the equalizer as Abby Piotrowski hit a shot that was blocked but fellow freshman Hannah Huffman collected the rebound and banged it home for her first collegiate goal, knotting the score at one with 11:11 left in regulation. Dickinson goalie Heather Meeder was forced to make a pair of saves in the final three minutes of regulation to force overtime.
• The Red Devils carried the play in the extra session as they turned the tables on the Green and White. Spartan goalie Kaitlyn Wallace made a pair of saves in the first three minutes of the overtime but Maddie Dombroski hit a pass from the top of the circle off a corner that Emily Mycek redirected for the game-winner.
Hannah Huffman: 1 goal, 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Abby Piotrowski: 1 assist, 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Dana Meehling: 6 shots, 3 shots on goal
Amanda Boclair: 2 shots on goal
Red Devils Leaders
Emily Mycek: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Bridget Fontaine: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Maddie Dombrowski: 1 assist, 1 shot
Sierra Bobb: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Ellie Werner: 1 defensive save
Kaitlyn Wallace (YCP): 64:33 minutes played, 2 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 0-2)
Heather Meeder (DC): 64:33 minutes played, 1 goal against, 7 saves (Win, 1-1)
York had their four-game win streak against Dickinson snapped with the overtime loss … York is now 24-16-4 against the Red Devils all-time … four of the last five games in the series have gone into overtime … Dickinson's last win in the series previous to tonight's victory came on September 10, 2014 at Dickinson (4-0) … the Spartans missed a penalty stroke for the first time since October 1, 2017 at Wesley … the Green and White went 5-for-5 in strokes last year including Dana Meehling going 3-for-3 … York outshot Dickinson 10-1 in the fourth quarter but converted just one of those ten shots into a goal … Dickinson outshot York 3-0 in the overtime period … Dickinson goalie Heather Meeder made five of her seven saves in the fourth quarter while the Red Devils also got a defensive save in the quarter.
The Spartans return to Kinsley Field on Saturday as they will host Virginia Wesleyan in a non-conference contest. The match is slated for a 1:00 pm start.