YORK, PA – The York field hockey offense struck early and the defense was just as strong as the shutout the Juniata College Eagles 3-0 in a non-conference tilt before conference play.
Final Score: York 3 – Juniata 0
Records: York 6-5, Juniata 5-5
Shots: York 10, Juniata 7
Shots on Goal: York 6, Juniata 3
Penalty Corners: York 7, Juniata 7
How It Happened:
• The Spartans struck early when Lindsay Nye found the back of the net off a ball bouncing around the goal after a penalty corner. The Spartans grabbed the early 1-0 advantage less than four minutes into the contest.
• The Spartan defense stayed stingy allowing only five shots in the first half taking the 1-0 lead into the break.
• York doubled their lead in the first three minutes of the second half when Dana Meehling was on the receiving end of a Greta Plappert shot that was saved and ricocheted right to Meehling who placed it in the back of the net, giving the Spartans a 2-0 lead early in the second period.
• At the 52:33 mark the Spartan offense added another when Greta Plappert scored her team-leading sixth goal of the season as she rocketed a shot from right of the goal into the opposite corner giving York a three-goal cushion.
• York did not allow many good scoring chances the entire second half and took the victory 3-0 over Juniata
Greta Plappert: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 4 shots
Lindsay Nye: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 2 shots
Dana Meehling: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Sarah Alexander: 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Linday Scholten: 2 shots
Sam Keating(YCP): 70 minutes, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 6-5)
Kylie Edwards (JC): 54.06 minutes, 3 goals against, 3 saves (Loss, 3-3)
Nicole Piccioni (JC): 15.54 minutes, 0 goals against, 0 saves
York is now 6-17-2 all-time against the Eagles … this was the first meeting since September 17, 2016 and the first win for the Spartans over Juniata since a 2-1 overtime win on September 13, 2014 … York has now won three games in a row … junior Greta Plappert now has a team-leading 16 points on the year after adding three points today on a goal and an assist … Dana Meehling scored her third goal in her last four games … with her goal today, Lindsay Nye moves in to a tie for fifth all-time with 41 goals and is also in possession of fifth all time with 97 career points … Sam Keating recorded her third shutout on the year … York is now 4-3 at home this season.
The Spartans begin conference play when they travel to St. Mary's (Md.) to take on the Seahawks on Tuesday. Game time scheduled for 4:00 pm in St. Mary's City, Md.