NEWPORT NEWS, VA. – The York College baseball team had their 2019 campaign come to an end with a pair of defeats on day one of the CAC Tournament. York lost the opener 16-6 to Mary Washington and then fell 8-1 in game two to #2 Christopher Newport to eliminate them from the tournament.
York (Pa.): 25-16
Mary Washington: 15-20
#2 Christopher Newport: 31-6
Game One Stats
Runs: York 6 / Mary Washington 16
Hits: York 12 / Mary Washington 18
Errors: York 4 / Mary Washington 1
Left on Base: York 9 / Mary Washington 8
Doubles: York 1 / Mary Washington 2
Triples: York 0 / Mary Washington 2
Home Runs: York 2 / Mary Washington 2
York Offensive Leaders
Jack Barry: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 HR
Grant Oberholtzer: 3-for-5, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, HR
Austin Denlinger: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 2B
Jimmy Wiegers: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, BB
Mary Washington Offensive Leaders
David Lambertson: 3-for-5, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored
Christian Hague: 3-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, HR, 2B, BB
Stephen Johnston: 2-for-6, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored, Grand Slam
Marcell Barrett: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 3B, BB
Garrett Lyons: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2 SB
Bobby Kuehn: 3.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 8 runs, 6 earned, 2 BB, 5 K (L, 4-4)
Zac Stoll: 2.1 innings pitched, 7 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, BB, K
Brandon Haggerty: 3.2 innings pitched, 5 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 2 BB, 5 K
Mary Washington Pitching
Hank Biggs: 9.0 innings pitched, 12 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned, 4 BB, 8 K (W, 8-5)
How It Happened
• The Spartans would strike quickly in the first inning as Austin Denlinger roped a double to center field and would then come in to score on a single to left field by Luke Turner to put York up 1-0 early. The Eagles would get that run back in the top of the second taking advantage of a Spartan error. Norman Holcomb would reach on an error to start the inning and eventually came around to tie the game on a fielder's choice. In the bottom half of the inning, the Spartans would get the bases loaded but were unable to bring any runs in as the score remained deadlocked 1-1 after two innings.
• The Eagles would take their first lead of the day in the top of the third inning when Christian Hague blasted a two-out solo home run to give Mary Washington a 2-1 lead. The Eagles would then take control of the game in the fourth inning scoring seven runs on six hits headlined by a Stephen Johnston grand slam as the Eagles led 9-1 after four innings.
• The Eagles would tack on two more runs in the top of the fifth inning scoring runs on a Tyler Ray RBI-triple and a sac fly by Hague as UMW pushed their lead out to double digits. In the bottom half of the frame, Jack Barry would hit a solo home run to left field but the Spartans still trailed 11-2 after five innings.
• The Mary Washington bats continued to stay hot in the sixth inning plating two more runs on three hits and two Spartan errors. David Lambertson would single up the middle to bring in Garrett Lyons and Marcell Barrett to push the lead out to 13-2. York would answer in the bottom of the sixth with three runs of their own, all coming on a three-run blast by Grant Oberholtzer that brought in Jimmy Wiegers and Garrett Southern to pull the Spartans within eight after six innings.
• The Eagles would plate three more runs in the eighth inning on four hits to push the lead back out to double digits. Lyons, Lambertson, and Ray would all collect RBI-hits in the frame and UMW led 16-5 after eight innings. Barry would hit his second homer of the game for the Spartans in the bottom of the ninth but York would fall in game one of the tournament to Mary Washington 16-6.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 1 / Christopher Newport 8
Hits: York 6 / Christopher Newport 9
Errors: York 1 / Christopher Newport 1
Left on Base: York 6 / Christopher Newport 7
Doubles: York 2 / Christopher Newport 3
Triples: York 0 / Christopher Newport 0
Home Runs: York 1 / Christopher Newport 0
York Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, 2B
Brandon White: 1-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored
Jack Barry: 1-for-3, 2B
Christopher Newport Offensive Leaders
Ryan Grubbs: 3-for-4, 4 RBI, 2 2B
Jordan Mason: 3-for-3, 3 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2B, BB
Conner Clark: 2-for-5, 1 run scored
Will Grega: 6.0 innings pitched, 9 hits, 8 runs, 8 earned, 6 BB, 4 K (L, 3-4)
Conor Miller: 2.0 innings pitched, BB, K
Christopher Newport Pitching
Josh Husby: 7.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, BB, 7 K (W, 9-1)
Austin Slough: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits
Andrew Suppa: 1.0 innings pitched, K
How It Happened
• The Captains started the scoring off in the first inning scoring four runs on just two hits taking advantage of three consecutive walks in the frame. The Captains picked up their runs on a two-run double by Jordan Mason, a sac fly by Trey Hicks, and a single by Ryan Grubbs on three straight batters to take the 4-0 lead early.
• The Captains would add to their lead in the third inning plating two more runs on a double to left center by Grubbs that would bring in Mason and DiNapoli to push the lead out to six. A double by Grubbs in the fifth inning would bring in Mason again as the Spartans were in a 7-0 hole after five innings.
• In the bottom of the sixth, Mason struck again with an RBI-single to left field that brought in Conner Clark and extended the Captain advantage to eight runs. Brandon White would put the Spartans on the board in the top of the seventh with a solo home run but that would be all York could muster against some stellar CNU pitching led by Josh Husby and the Spartans were eliminated from the tournament with an 8-1 loss to the second-ranked Captains.
The Spartans are now 42-42 all-time against the Eagles and 12-22 against the Captains … York is now 35-41 all-time in the CAC Tournament as York as has not won a Capital Athletic Conference tournament title since 1999 … the Spartans allowed 16 runs in the game one loss which was the second-most runs they gave up in a game this season … the Spartans tied their second-highest error total in a game with four runs in game one … the Spartans hit four home runs in the two games combined … Grant Oberholtzer hit a career-high eight home runs on the season while also leading the team with 63 hits, a .360 batting average, 55 runs, and 22 stolen bases … Brandon White finished with the team lead in homers with 9 and RBI with 51 … York finished hitting .299 at a team and outscored their opponents 334 to 288 on the season … the Spartans allowed 57 unearned runs on the season … York struggled down the stretch losing five in a row and eight of their last nine to end the year … York finished the season with a 9-10 record on the road.
The loss concludes the Spartan 2019 campaign. The game was the final collegiate contest for five Spartans as Grant Oberholtzer, Will Grega, Garrett Southern, Bobby Kuehn, and Jake Snyder finished their Spartan careers with a combined 73 wins.