SELINSGROVE, PA. – The York College baseball team fell in non-conference action as the Susquehanna River Hawks came all the way back from an 8-0 deficit to top the Spartans 9-8 on Tuesday afternoon.
York (Pa.): 25-13
Runs: York 8 / Susquehanna 9
Hits: York 10 / Susquehanna 15
Errors: York 3 / Susquehanna 2
Left on Base: York 6 / Susquehanna 4
Doubles: York 2 / Susquehanna 5
Triples: York 0 / Susquehanna 0
Home Runs: York 0 / Susquehanna 1
York Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, 3 runs scored, BB
Austin Denlinger: 2-for-5, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Garrett Southern: 2-for-4, RBI, BB
Susquehanna Offensive Leaders
Nick Berger: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 2B
Adam Schreck: 2-for-4, RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, 2B, BB
Justin Miller: 2-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, SB
Craig Roumes: 2-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored
Rory Costello: 4.2 innings pitched, 10 hits, 7 runs, 6 earned, BB, 2 K
Zac Stoll: 3.2 innings pitched, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, BB, 2 K (L, 3-1)
Ryan Beckwith: 2.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 6 runs, 6 earned, 3 BB, 2 K
Nathan Madden: 3.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 4 K
Bobby Grigas: 4.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, BB, 8 K
How It Happened
• York wasted no time jumping on the River Hawks in the first inning plating three runs early. The Spartans opened up with three straight hits with singles by Grant Oberholtzer and Austin Denlinger followed by an RBI-double by Jack Barry and York led 2-0 three batters in. Barry would later come in to score on a single by Garrett Southern and the Spartans led by three after the first inning.
• The Spartans would add three more runs in the second inning on two hits. Two runs came in to score on a single by Luke Turner to open the scoring for innings. Barry would later score on an RBI-groundout by Brandon White as York pushed their lead out to 6-0. York would continue to score in the third inning when Denlinger double to left center field to bring in Oberholtzer and Bryan Bell as the Spartans ballooned their lead to 8-0 before the River Hawks would finally get on the board in the bottom of the third on a Nick Berger double as York led 8-1 after three.
• Susquehanna would continue to claw back into the game as they brought in four runs in the fourth inning on four hits as they took advantage of a pair of Spartan errors in the frame. The River Hawks picked up RBI-hits by Craig Roumes, Justin Miller, and Berger in the inning to pull within three. The River Hawks were not done there as they picked up two more runs the following inning on a two-run single by Ben Burman to pull within one of the Spartans after five innings.
• After the Spartans struck out three times in the top of the sixth, the River Hawks threatened to tie the game after a lead-off double by Berger who advanced to third on a wild pitch with nobody out in the inning. Zac Stoll would shut the door getting the next two batters to strikeout and then a lineout to end the inning and keep York ahead 8-7 through six innings.
• Susquehanna would go on to tie the game in the seventh on a lead-off home run by Adam Schreck as the River Hawks have fought all the way back to tie the game 8-8 with two innings to play. Over the final four innings, Bobby Grigas silenced the Spartan offense as York managed just one hit, an infield single while striking out eight times from the sixth to ninth innings and in the bottom of the ninth the River Hawks would complete the comeback scoring a run on a bunt single by Peter Yarem as the River Hawks took the game 9-8.
The Spartans are now 33-17 all-time against the River Hawks … this was the first loss all season for the Spartans when leading after six innings as they were 19-0 on the year … York is 6-11 when they get outhit by their opponents … York is now 15-5 when they score in the first inning and 19-5 when they score first overall … York struck out 14 times in the loss which is tied for the second-most in a single game this year and their third consecutive game with double digit strikeouts … York has recorded at least one double in 34 of their 38 games on the season … with two hits today, Austin Denlinger became the first Spartan this season with 60 hits with Grant Oberholtzer right behind him with 57, those are the only two Spartans who have eclipsed the 50-hit mark this season … Brandon White became the first Spartan on the season with 50 RBIs with one more run batted in today … Zac Stoll tossed a season-high 3.2 innings out of the bullpen ... Jimmy Wiegers stole his 12th bag on the year and is tied with Denlinger for second on the team … York falls to 11-6 in their non-conference slate dropping their last three as well as falling to 9-9 on the road this year.
The Spartans will play their final regular season game tomorrow when they host the Messiah College Falcons at 3:30 pm. This will be their final tune up before the conference tournament where York will head back down to Newport News, Virginia. The Spartans are the third seed in Pod B with second-seeded CNU and awaiting the fifth seed which will be either Southern Virginia or Mary Washington. York will play either of those two teams on Friday at 9:00 am.