NEWPORT NEWS, VA. – The Spartan baseball team got blitzed by a powerful Christopher Newport offense and dropped their CAC regular season finale to the second-ranked Captains.
York (Pa.): 25-12, (14-7)
#2 Christopher Newport: 30-5 (17-3)
Score: York 4, Christopher Newport 21
Hits: York 10, Christopher Newport 16
Errors: York 0, Christopher Newport 2
Left on Base: York 7, Christopher Newport 16
Doubles: York 1, Christopher Newport 4
Triples: York 0, Christopher Newport 0
Homeruns: York 0, Christopher Newport 3
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got on the board first scoring a run just three batters in to the game. Grant Oberholtzer led off the game with a single and then stole second. He would then come in to score on a single to left center by Luke Turner. York would add another run with a Craig Wiley single to center field to bring in Jimmy Wiegers as the Spartans opened up a 2-0 lead in the second inning. York would load the bases with just one out but Nathan Clements would get back-to-back strikeouts to hold York to just one in the frame.
• In the bottom of the third, the Captains would threaten by loading the bases without recording a hit but Brandon Haggerty would work out of the jam by getting three straight infield popups to keep CNU off the board.
• The Captains would load the bases again in the fourth inning, this time on just one hit, and would get their first run on a bases-loaded walk to Seth Woodard. CNU would strand three more runners on the bases as York still led 2-1 after four innings.
• The Captains would blow the game wide open in the fifth inning scoring nine runs on five hits to take a firm hold on the game. Nick Baham started the scoring with a lead-off homer to tie the game 2-2. This was Baham's fifth home run of the series as he had been a thorn in the side of the Spartans all weekend. Joseph Cutchins would later double to left field to bring in the go ahead run as the Captains took their first lead of the afternoon. Conner Clark was later hit by a pitch with the bases loaded followed by a three-run double by Woodard as CNU took a commanding 7-2 lead. But the Captains weren't finished as Jordan Mason capped the frame off with a three-run homer and York trailed 10-2 in the blink of an eye after five innings.
• The Captains would add another run without recording a hit in the sixth when Cutchins scored on a wild pitch before a ten-run seventh inning headlined by a three-run homer by Trey Hicks as CNU led 21-2 with two innings to play.
• The Spartans would score a pair in the eighth inning taking advantage of a Captain error off the bat of Jake Snyder that brought home Davaughn Reid and Rob Acierno but that would be all York would manage as they fell 21-4 in their CAC regular season finale.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jimmy Wiegers: 2-for-2, 1 run scored, 2B, SB, BB
Luke Turner: 2-for-4, RBI
Craig Wiley: 1-for-2, RBI, BB
Christopher Newport Offensive Leaders
Jordan Mason: 3-for-5, 4 RBI, 4 runs scored, HR, 2B, 2 BB
Joseph Cutchins: 3-for-4, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, 2B, BB
Nicholas Baham: 2-for-5, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, 2B, BB
Seth Woodard: 1-for-3, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, 2 BB
Brandon Haggerty: 4.1 innings pitched, 4 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 4 BB, 2 K (L, 4-4)
Andrew Ross: 0.2 innings pitched, 3 hits, 7 runs, 7 earned, 2 BB
Jake Herr: 1.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, 5 BB, 2 K
John Szwajkowski: 0.0 innings pitched, 4 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, BB
AJ Vincenzi: 2.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 1 run, 1 earned, 2 BB, 1 K
Christopher Newport Pitching
Nathan Clements: 3.0 innings pitched, 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 3 BB, 4 K
Carter Strain: 2.0 innings pitched, 2 hits, BB (W, 1-0)
Kyle Darmstead: 2.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, BB, K
Corey Williams: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 0 earned, K
Austin Slough: 1.0 innings pitched, 3 K
Notes: The Spartans are now 12-21 all-time against Christopher Newport … the 14 conference wins are tied for the most in program history with the 2014 season when York went 14-2 … the Spartans gave up a season-high 21 runs in the loss as well as walked a season-high 14 batters … the 16 hits allowed are also the most York has given up since they surrendered 17 hits to Salisbury back on April 12 … the Spartan defense made zero errors for the fourth time in six games and has made just three errors in the last eight contests … Grant Oberholtzer stole his 20th base on the year as he is second in the CAC in steals … with another double today, Jimmy Wiegers now has 14 on the year which puts him all alone in second place in the conference on the year … the Spartans finished the regular season in third place in the CAC which puts them in Pod B where they will travel back to Newport News and will take on these Captains and the Southern Virginia Knights in a double elimination pod to advance to the CAC championships … York falls to 9-8 on the road this season and 4-6 on the road in conference play.
The Spartans are back in action Tuesday when they travel to take on Susquehanna in non-conference action. First pitch in Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania scheduled for 4:00 pm.