YORK, PA. – The Spartan baseball team completed a four-run comeback win in the nick of time as York beat the rain and defeated Mary Washington in game one of their three-game series by an 8-4 score in five innings.
York (Pa.): 21-8, (10-5)
Mary Washington: 11-16, (4-11)
Score: York 8, Mary Washington 4
Hits: York 12, Mary Washington 11
Errors: York 1, Mary Washington 1
Left on Base: York 4, Mary Washington 5
Doubles: York 2, Mary Washington 0
Triples: York 0, Mary Washington 1
Homeruns: York 0, Mary Washington 0
How It Happened:
• The Eagles made things interesting right away loading the bases in the first inning but Bobby Kuehn would get out of the jam leaving the Eagles off the scoreboard in the first inning. Both teams would remain scoreless through the first two frames.
• Mary Washington would break the scoreless game up in the third scoring on an RBI-groundout by Garrett Lyons to bring in Tyler Ray who led off the frame with a single. The Spartans would get their first two men aboard in the bottom half of the frame but would leave them stranded as UMW led 1-0 after three innings.
• The Eagles would start the fourth inning off with back-to-back infield singles who then each advanced to second and third respectively on a balk. Kevin France would then lace a triple to center field that would bring in two runs with France coming around to score after an errant Spartan throw went in the Eagle dugout putting York in a 4-0 hole headed to the bottom of the fourth.
• The Spartans answered in the bottom of the fourth with their first five batters of the frame reaching base. York got their first two runs on a seeing-eye single through the right side by Jimmy Wiegers to cut the deficit in half. Wiegers would later score on an infield single by Craig Wiley as York now trailed by just one. An Eagle error would bring in Garrett Southern as the Spartans climbed all the way back and tied the game 4-4. Two batters later, Austin Denlinger would single up the middle to bring in Wiley which ended up being the winning run as York led 5-4 after four innings.
• Kuehn would retire the Eagles in order on just seven pitches to bring the game to a completed game. York would put up three more runs in the fifth innings before the rain. The game would be suspended in the bottom of the fifth due to rain and officially called after a rain delay of almost 90 minutes.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jimmy Wiegers: 2-for-3, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored
Garrett Southern: 2-for-2, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2B, BB
Craig Wiley: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 run scored
Luke Turner: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 2B
Mary Washington Offensive Leaders
Kevin France: 1-for-2, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 3B
Christian Hague: 2-for-3
Garrett Lyons: 1-for-3, RBI
Bobby Kuehn: 5.0 innings pitched, 7 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, BB, K (W, 4-1)
Mary Washington Pitching
Tyler Ray: 4.0 innings pitched, 11 hits, 8 runs, 8 earned, 4 BB, K (L, 1-7)
Chris Kenyon: 0.1 innings pitched, 1 hit
Notes: The Spartans are now 40-41 all-time against Mary Washington … the Spartans now have 21 wins which is the most since 2014 when York won 29 games … the Spartans extended their streak of games with multiple doubles to four games … when the Spartans score more than six runs, they are now 20-3 on the year while just 1-5 when held under six runs … York is now 6-5 when their opponent scores first … Craig Wiley extended his hit streak to four games with his first career multi-hit game … Jimmy Wiegers drove in three runs in the win and now joins Brandon White as the only Spartans with over 30 RBI as Wiegers now has 32 … during Luke Turner's seven-game hit streak, Turner has 12 hits with six doubles and a homer, he has also driven in seven runs over that stretch … the Spartans remain perfect at home as they are now 10-0.
The Spartans will conclude their three-game series with Mary Washington with a doubleheader tomorrow afternoon. The first game is scheduled for 12:00 pm with second game to follow roughly 20 minutes after the conclusion of game one.