YORK, PA. – The York College baseball team completed a five-run comeback win scoring ten runs in the final three innings to snap a six-game losing streak to Rutgers-Camden. Conor Miller tossed 4.0 innings while allowing no runs out of the bullpen for the Spartans.
York (Pa.): 18-8
Score: York 10, Rutgers-Camden 5
Hits: York 12, Rutgers-Camden 10
Errors: York 1, Rutgers-Camden 2
Left on Base: York 10, Rutgers-Camden 9
Doubles: York 1, Rutgers-Camden 2
Triples: York 1, Rutgers-Camden 1
Homeruns: York 1, Rutgers-Camden 1
York Offensive Leaders
Luke Turner: 3-for-5, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B, SB
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, SB, BB
Austin Denlinger: 2-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored, 3B, 2B
Garrett Southern: 2-for-5, 2 RBI
Jack Barry: 1-for-2, RBI, 3 runs scored, HR, 3 BB
Rutgers-Camden Offensive Leaders
RJ Concepcion: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, HR, 2 BB
Chris Jones: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, BB
Brett Yurgin: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 3B
John Guccione: 2-for-4
Rory Costello: 4.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, 3 BB, K
Tim Halasnik: 0.1 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned, 3 BB, K
Conor Miller: 4.0 innings pitched, 3 hits, 2 BB, 3 K (W, 2-0)
Drew Zytko: 5.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, BB
Joe Hahn: 0.2 innings pitched, 1 hit, 3 runs, 3 earned, 2 BB
Jaylen Paula: 1.1 innings pitched, 5 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, 3 BB (L, 0-3)
Dakota Herman: 0.1 innings pitched, K
How It Happened
• Rutgers-Camden got going quickly as Brett Yurgin laced a triple off the wall in left center to lead off the game. He would come in to score two batters later on an RBI-groundout by Matt Stoots.
• The Scarlet Raptors would add a pair of runs in the top of the fifth on a two-run homer to left field by RJ Concepcion that also brought in Yurgin. The York offense was held to just two hits in through the first five innings of play.
• In the sixth, the Scarlet Raptors would plate two more runs on just one hit taking advantage of four walks in the inning. After back-to-back walks to start the frame, John Guccione would hit a bunt single and a run would come in to score on the throwing error by the Spartans. The other run came in to score on a bases-loaded balk as York faced their largest deficit 5-0 headed to the bottom of the sixth.
• York got the bats going in the sixth as Grant Oberholtzer hit a lead-off homer off the top of the fence that got a fortuitous bounce over the fence to put York on the board. Two batters later, Jack Barry also hit a solo shot and York was down just three after six innings.
• The Spartans would score five runs on just three hits in the bottom of the seventh as they walked four times in the frame. After back-to-back walks to Bryan Bell and Oberholtzer, Austin Denlinger would double to bring in Bell to pull within two. Barry would then be intentionally walked to load the bases. A wild pitch would bring in another Spartan run and York trailed by just one. Luke Turner would come up to deliver a two-out RBI-single to right field to tie the game up 5-5. Garrett Southern would put York ahead in the inning with a two-run single through the left side and York led 7-5 after seven frames.
• The Spartans would add some insurance in the eighth when Turner blasted a three-run double off the center field wall to give York a five-run advantage. Conor Miller would retire the Scarlet Raptors in order to complete the comeback win 10-5.
The Spartans are now 7-9 all-time against the Scarlet Raptors … the win snapped a six-game losing streak against Rutgers-Camden in the series … York is now 5-7 on the year when trailing after six innings … the Spartans snapped a season-long three game losing streak with the win … this is the 10th game the Spartans have scored in double digits, they are 9-1 in those games … Grant Oberholtzer hit his fifth home run in his last 11 games … Luke Turner matched his career-high with three hits and set a new career-high four RBI in the win … Conor Miller tossed a season-long 4.0 innings and now has a 1.29 ERA on the year … Austin Denlinger hit his third triple of the year which leads the club … Oberholtzer and Denlinger are the only two Spartans with at least 40 hits … the Spartans improved to 9-0 at home this season.
The Spartans are back in action tomorrow when they travel to Grantham, Pennsylvania to take on the Messiah College Falcons. York defeated Messiah 7-6 in York back on March 13. First pitch slated for 3:30 pm.