SALISBURY, MD. – The York College baseball team got blitzed early by the Salisbury Sea Gulls and could never recover as they dropped the opener of their three-game series in Salisbury 15-8 on Friday afternoon.
York (Pa.): 17-6, 9-3
Salisbury: 22-6-1, 11-2
Score: York 8, Salisbury 15
Hits: York 11, Salisbury 17
Errors: York 2, Salisbury 1
Left on Base: York 6, Salisbury 6
Doubles: York 3, Salisbury 3
Triples: York 0, Salisbury 3
Homeruns: York 4, Salisbury 1
York Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 HR, 2B
Brandon White: 2-for-4, 4 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 HR
Garrett Southern: 2-for-4
Salisbury Offensive Leaders
Jay Perry: 4-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored
Cameron Hyder: 3-for-6, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, 3B, 2B
Justin Meekins: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 3 runs scored, HR
Brad Haas: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, SB
Bobby Kuehn: 4.2 innings pitched, 13 hits, 13 runs, 11 earned, BB, K (L, 3-1)
Andrew Ross: 3.1 innings pitched, 4 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 2 BB, 2 K
Clayton Dwyer: 8.0 innings pitched, 10 hits, 8 runs, 6 earned, BB, 6 K (W, 6-2)
Corey Burton: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, K
How It Happened
• York jumped out to an early lead scoring three runs on a pair of home runs in the first inning. A lead-off homer by Grant Oberholtzer followed by a two-run shot by Brandon White would give York the early 3-0 lead. Salisbury would get a pair of runs back in the bottom of the first on a two-run single by Brad Haas.
• Salisbury would take the lead in the second inning plating six runners and bashing five hits in the inning. Cameron Hyder brought three in with a bases-clearing triple and would score next batter when Justin Meekins single. The Sea Gulls would add two more runs on a sac fly and a double steal and the Gulls led 8-3 after just two innings of play.
• The Spartans would claw back in to it scoring a pair of runs in the top of the fourth taking advantage of a Salisbury error. Bailey Doan would single through the left side to bring in Jimmy Wiegers for the first run of the inning. The Spartans would add another when Rob Acierno scored on a passed ball to cut the deficit to three. Justin Meekings would lead off the bottom of the fourth with a solo homer to put Salisbury ahead by four.
• Salisbury would continue to add on in the fifth inning plating four more runs. The first four Sea Gull hitters registered hits including three for extra bases. A bases-loaded walk and an error concluded the four-run fifth and Salisbury led 13-5 after five.
• After Salisbury added another run in the sixth, York would score three in the top of the seventh the same way they scored three in the first inning. A lead-off blast by Oberholtzer followed by another two-run shot by White put York within six. Salisbury got one run back in the bottom half of the inning and would cruise through the final two innings to take game one 15-8 over the Spartans.
The Spartans are now 45-78-1 all-time against the Sea Gulls … York has dropped four in a row to the hands of Salisbury … the 15 runs allowed were tied for the most the Spartans have surrendered this year with it having two other times this season … the 17 hits allowed were a season-high allowed by York … the four home runs were the most in a game this season and the most since York hit 4 last year on May 1 against Susquehanna … York has struggled on the road pitching-wise as they have posted a 5.84 ERA on the road compared to a 3.25 ERA at home … Brandon White launched a pair of homers and now leads the team with six on the year while also leading the way with 38 RBI … White is the only Spartan with over 30 RBI … Grant Oberholtzer extends his hitting streak to eight games and now has five homers on the year with four coming in those eight games … this was just the third loss of the season for the Spartans when they score first and score in the first inning … York is now 5-4 on the road.
The Spartans are back in action tomorrow as the continue their three-game series with Salisbury with a doubleheader Saturday afternoon. First pitch of game one scheduled for 12:00 pm in Salisbury, Maryland.