WINCHESTER, VA. – The York College baseball team made multiple comeback attempts but came up just short as the Shenandoah Hornets answered the Spartans all game as York fell 11-9 in Winchester, Virginia on Tuesday afternoon.
York (Pa.): 12-5
Score: York 9, Shenandoah 11
Hits: York 12, Shenandoah 10
Errors: York 4, Shenandoah 1
Left on Base: York 11, Shenandoah 9
Doubles: York 0, Shenandoah 2
Triples: York 0, Shenandoah 0
Homeruns: York 2, Shenandoah 2
York Offensive Leaders
Brandon White: 2-for-4, 4 RBI, 1 run scored, HR, BB
Austin Denlinger: 3-for-6, 2 runs scored
Jack Barry: 2-for-3, RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 BB
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-5, 3 RBI, 2 runs scored, HR, BB
Shenandoah Offensive Leaders
Tristan Baker: 2-for-4, 3 RBI, 1 run scored, HR, BB
Tyler Kroll: 2-for-2, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, HR, 2B
Grant Thompson: 2-for-2, RBI, 2B
Keegan Woolford: 2-for-4, RBI, 1 run scored, BB
Brandon Haggerty: 3.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned, 2 BB, 2 K (L, 2-2)
Andrew Ross: 2.1 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned, 2 BB, K
John Szwajkowski: 0.2 innings pitched, 2 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned runs, 2 BB
Donovan Oakes: 1.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, BB, K
Zac Stoll: 0.1 innings pitched, K
Matt Barnes: 3.0 innings pitched, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned, 2 BB, 2 K
Seth Comer: 2.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, BB, K (W, 2-0)
Ethan Laird: 0.2 innings pitched, 2 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned, BB, K
Cade Templeton: 2.1 innings pitched, 4 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, 2 BB, 4 K
Gerard DePhillips: 1.0 innings pitched, (Save, 6)
How It Happened
• York jumped out to the early lead in the top of the first inning, this would be the only lead the Spartans had during the game. After an infield single by Austin Denlinger, Jack Barry would single up the middle to move Denlinger to second who would then come in to score on a Brandon White single. York would strand two runners but led 1-0 early. The Hornets first two batters in the bottom half of the inning would single to set the table for a single by Keegan Woolford and a sacrifice fly to give the Hornets the 2-1 lead after just one inning.
• In the top of the third, York would get the run back after loading the bases on back-to-back walks to Barry and White and a single by Justin Kilpatrick. Barry would come in to tie the game on a wild pitch with two outs in the frame. Again, York left two runners stranded but tied the game up 2-2.
• The Hornets would take the lead back in the bottom of the fourth scoring four runs on just two hits. Tyler Kroll would blast a two-run shot to start the scoring and then a Spartan error would keep things alive for Shenandoah and Tristan Baker would take advantage with his own two-run blast as York trailed 6-2 after four innings.
• The Spartans would claw back in the top of the sixth inning. Jimmy Wiegers would lead the frame off with a single to center followed by a Bailey Doan walk. That would set the table for Grant Oberholtzer who would blast a three-run homer to left field to bring York within one.
• The Hornets took advantage of a lead-off walk in the bottom half of the sixth as the lead-off walk would come around to score on a Grant Thompson double down the left field line as York trailed by a pair with three innings to play.
• After a scoreless top of the seventh where the Spartans left the bases loaded, the Hornets would capitalize on a pair of Spartan errors to bring in four more runs. Shenandoah scored their runs on a throwing error, a single, a sacrifice fly, and a bases-loaded walk to push their lead out to 11-5.
• The Spartans responded with a four-spot of their own in the top of the eighth. Oberholtzer led off with a walk followed by a single by Denlinger which set the stage for the next two batters. Barry would bring home Oberholtzer on a single followed by a three-run homer by White to bring York back within two. York would go 1-2-3 in the ninth as their comeback effort came up just short as they fell 11-9.
The Spartans are now 0-8 all-time against the Hornets … five of the eight games in the series have been decided by three runs or less … the Spartans allowed double-digit runs for just the fourth time this season while allowing double-digit hits in four straight games … York walked seven batters which is tied for the second most this season in a single game … the Spartans hit two homeruns in a game for the fourth time this season … Grant Oberholtzer hit his second homerun in as many games and has hit two homeruns and driven in seven runners in his last two games … Brandon White lifted his third homer of the year which is tied with Oberholtzer for the most on the team … White also drove in four runners which is the fourth time this year he has driven in at least four runners and now leads the team with 26 RBI … York continued their struggles defensively as they made four more errors on the day which is the fifth time this season the Spartan defense has committed at least four errors … York is now 3-3 on the road this year.
The Spartans are back in action tomorrow when they travel to take on Widener University in a non-conference matchup. First pitch scheduled for 3:30 pm in Chester, Pennsylvania.