SALISBURY, MD – The York College baseball team opened the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference tournament on Friday with a win in the opener and a loss in the nightcap as the Spartans advanced to Saturday's portion of the tournament. The Spartans pounded Frostburg State 17-5 in the opener before the host Salisbury Sea Gulls shut down the high powered Spartan offense 7-0 in the nightcap.
Records: York 20-18-1, Frostburg State 23-14, Salisbury 30-10
Game One vs. Frostburg State
Score: York 17, Frostburg State 5
Hits: York 18, FSU 12
Errors: York 1, FSU 2
Left on Base: York 12, FSU 10
Doubles: York 4, FSU 1
Triples: York 0, FSU 0
Home Runs: York 2, FSU 1
How It Happened
• The Spartan offensive explosion began in the second inning. Luke Knott doubled home Garrett Southern with one out in the second. Collin Crowell, who singled earlier in the inning, came home when Grant Oberholtzer reached on an error by the Bobcats. Oberholtzer stole second and then scored on a two-run single from Seth Brosius as the Spartans took a 4-0 lead.
• The Bobcats answered with a three spot in the bottom of the inning as Colton Sivic drilled a three-run home to right, cutting the Spartan lead to one.
• Frostburg got one run back in the fourth with an Evan Colton RBI single.
• After a quiet fifth inning, the Spartan offense really came to life. Brosius drew a bases loaded walk to score the first run in the top of the sixth. Oberholtzer scored on a Christian Bilan fielder's choice. Barry then scored Zach Hossler with an RBI single.
• York added a single run in the seventh as Hossler doubled down the left field line and scored when Brosius doubled down the right field line, pushing the York lead to 10-4.
• The Spartans removed all doubt with with a six-run eighth inning. A wild pitch scored the first run of the inning. Knott singled in a run and then Oberholtzer blasted a three run homer. Later on in the inning, Hossler scored on a Barry RBI ground out to first.
• Both teams scored a single run in the ninth inning for the final 17-5 score.
• Senior Joel Kenney picked up his third straight complete game victory. The senior has been a workhorse down the stretch as he is 3-0 in his last three starts with all of those starts coming in conference play.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 3-for-7, 3 runs scored, 5 RBI, HR
Zach Hossler: 2-for-7, 3 runs scored, 2B
Garrett Southern: 3-for-6, 3 runs scored, 2B
Luke Knott: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Rob Acierno: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, HR
Bobcat Offensive Leaders
Logan Corrigan: 2-for-5
Colton Sivic: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, HR
Matt Bougourd: 2-for-4
Jason Paredes: 1-for-1, RBI, 2B
Joel Kenney: 9.0 IP, 12 hits, 5 earned runs, 3 BB, 7 K (Win, 5-2)
Frostburg State Pitching
Brady Adam: 2.1 IP, 5 hits, 6 runs, 4 earned runs, 3 BB, 5 K (Loss, 3-5)
Daniel Richardson: 3.2 IP, 4 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 BB, 5 K
Chase Delost: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K
Lane Ward: 0.0 IP, 0 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB
Travis Brashear: 1.0 IP, 5 hits, 4 eraned runs, 1 BB
Bret Fogle: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K
Game Two vs. Salisbury
Score: York 0, Salisbury 7
Hits: York 5, SAL 11
Errors: York 1, SAL 1
Left on Base: York 7, SAL 8
Doubles: York 1, SAL 2
Triples: York 0, SAL 0
Home Runs: York 0, SAL 2
How It Happened
• The game was scoreless through the opening three innings of play. The Spartans got a lead off single from Jack Barry in the bottom of the second followed by a double by Rob Acierno. Barry was thrown out at third base on the double. Acierno moved to third on a wild pitch but Sea Gulls starter Connor Reeves got a strike out and a foul out to keep Acierno at third.
• The Sea Gulls got a pair of walks to open the fourth inning. After a fielder's choice erased the lead runner, Colby Dean hit a three-run homer to put the Gulls on top.
• Salisbury got two runners on in the fifth but Will Grega got out of the inning without any further damage.
• The Sea Gulls added, at the time, a key insurance run in the seventh as Scott Ardoin had an RBI single to score Justin Meekins.
• Salisbury put the game out of reach as Meekins hit a three-run homer in the top of the eighth.
• Reeves tossed the complete game shutout as he improves to 12-3 for the season. Reeves now has four complete games and two shutouts in 2018.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Jack Barry: 2-for-4
Rob Acierno: 1-for-4, 2B
Garrett Southern: 1-for-4
Grant Oberholtzer: 1-for-4
Sea Gull Offensive Leaders
Justin Meekins: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, HR
Jack Decker: 3-for-4
Colby Dean: 1-for-4, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, HR
Scott Ardoin: 2-for-5, 1 RBI
Will Grega: 6.1 IP, 8 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 5 K (Loss, 3-5)
Zac Stoll: 2.2 IP, 3 hits, 3 runs, 0 BB, 1 K
Connor Reeves: 9.0 IP, 5 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB, 11 K (Win, 12-3)
The Spartans are now 35-38 all-time in the CAC Tournament … York went 2-1 against the Bobcats for the year while they are currently 1-2 against Salisbury with at least one, and possibly two games left against the Sea Gulls … York got shut out for the fourth time in the nightcap … it was the first time they failed to score since the March 14 6-0 loss to Stevenson … in the opener, York scored double figures for the 19th time in 39 games … senior Joel Kenney is 3-0 in his last three starts as he has thrown 27 innings, allowed 11 runs with 21 strikeouts and eight walks … Kenney has won his last four starts in a row.
The Spartans' job tomorrow is simple. If they can beat Salisbury twice, they will advance to championship weekend to face the winner of the Christopher Newport pod next weekend. If the Spartans fail to win two, their campaign comes to a close. Game one starts at 11:00 am and game two, if necessary, is slated for a 2:30 pm start at Sea Gull Baseball Stadium.