YORK, PA – The York College baseball team raced out to an early lead and then hung on late as the Spartans downed Susquehanna 15-13 in a non-conference contest at Jaquet Field on Tuesday afternoon in York.
Records: York 19-16-1, Susquehanna 16-21
Score: York 15, Susquehanna 13
Hits: York 17, Susquehanna 11
Errors: York 2, Susquehanna 5
Left on Base: York 11, Susquehanna 7
Doubles: York 2, Susquehanna 2
Triples: York 0, Susquehanna 1
Home Runs: York 4, Susquehanna 2
How It Happened
• The River Hawks got on the board early with a two run homer from Nick Berger in the top of the first inning, giving Susquehanna the 2-0 lead.
• York answered in the bottom of the first with some help from the River Hawks. Grant Oberholtzer led off the inning by reaching on an error. Oberholtzer stole second and Zach Hossler followed with a walk. Seth Brosius hit into a fielder's choice, forcing Hossler at second to put Spartans at the corners with one out. Christian Bilan then reached on a throwing error as Oberholtzer scored and Brosius moved to third. Jack Barry walked to load the bases. Rob Acierno followed with a walk to tie the game at two. The Spartans banged into a double play as they couldn't get any more out of the inning.
• York left the bases loaded in the second as they couldn't break the tie. That changed in the bottom of the third as the Spartans exploded for seven runs on six hits. They were again aided by a pair of River Hawks miscues in leading to the big inning. Acierno opened the scoring with a two-run shot to left field to make it 4-2. Patrick Clement had a sacrifice fly later in the inning, pushing the York lead to 5-2. Hossler ripped an RBI single to center and Barry followed with a two-run single to center to give York the 9-2 lead.
• Garrett Southern made it 10-2 with a solo homer to left to lead off the bottom of the fourth. Later in the inning, Hossler ripped an RBI double to right to score Collin Crowell as the York lead grew to 11-2.
• The Spartans appeared to put the game out of reach in the sixth with a four spot. Hossler began the scoring with a sacrifice fly to center to score Clement. Brosius then bombed a two run homer to left and Christian Bilan followed with a solo shot as York led 15-2 with three innings to play.
• That's when things got interesting. The River Hawks scored nine runs in the top of the seventh, turning the game from a blowout to a game that became uncomfortably close. Lance Welsh had one of the big blows in the inning with a grand slam to left. Susquehanna got nine runs on six hits, one Spartan error and three walks.
• The River Hawks scored on an RBI double from Steve Lorenz in the top of the ninth and then Susquehanna loaded the bases. Another walk forced in a run as Susquehanna had the go-ahead run at first. Will Grega got the final out to earn his first save of the year.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Zach Hossler: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, 2B
Seth Brosius: 2-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, HR
Christian Bilan: 2-for-6, 2 runs scored, RBI, HR
Rob Acierno: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, HR
Garrett Southern: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, HR
Jack Barry: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 RBI
River Hawk Offensive Leaders
Lance Welsh: 1-for-1, 1 run scored, 4 RBI, Grand Slam
Steve Lorenz: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Nick Berger: 1-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, HR
Cameron Ott: 2-for-4, 1 run scored
Cole Luzins: 1-for-6, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, 3B
Jeff Noss: 4.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 4 K, 0 BB (Win, 3-1)
Conor Miller: 2.0 IP, 4 hits, 8 runs, 7 earned runs, 3 BB, 2 K
Andrew Ross: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 BB, 1 K
Will Grega: 1.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 earned runs, 2 BB, 1 K (Save, 1)
John Cooley: 2.1 IP, 7 hits, 8 runs, 4 earned runs, 4 BB, 1 K (Loss, 2-2)
Brendan Damiano: 2.2 IP, 5 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 3 K
Cole Luzins: 3.0 IP, 5 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 0 BB, 2 K
The Spartans are now 32-16 all-time against Susquehanna … the Spartan offense reach double figures in runs for the 17th time this year … York is 14-3-1 when scoring 10 runs or more in a game … York has allowed 13 opponents to reach double figures this year as they are 4-8-1 when their opponents score 10 runs or more … York is 7-2 when hitting more than two homers in a game … York has outscored their opponents in innings one through seven for the season but has been outscored 38-34 in the eighth inning and 42-21 in the ninth inning … York has hit 103 doubles in 36 games for the year led by Grant Oberholtzer's 17 … freshman Jack Barry leads York in home runs with six.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday for their final regular season game of the year as York will host Rutgers-Camden in a non-conference make up game from earlier in the year. First pitch is set for 3:30 pm at Jaquet Field.