MIDDLETOWN, PA – The York College baseball squad earned an important road win on Thursday as the Spartans downed the Penn State Harrisburg Lions 14-7 in Capital Athletic Conference action in Middletown, PA.
Records: York 11-12-1 (4-5 CAC), Harrisburg 21-7 (7-3 CAC)
Score: York 14, Harrisburg 7
Hits: York 13, Harrisburg 7
Errors: York 3, Harrisburg 2
Left on Base: York 10, Harrisburg 14
Doubles: York 2, Harrisburg 1
Triples: York 1, Harrisburg 0
Home Runs: York 2, Harrisburg 1
How It Happened
• Both teams tallied single runs in the first inning. Seth Brosius had a sacrifice fly to account for York's run while Zachary Koroneos had an RBI single for the Lions.
• York added two runs in the top of the second as Garrett Southern drilled a two-run homer to put York up 3-1. Harrisburg's Alex Cline answered with a solo shot in the bottom of the frame as York led 3-2 after two complete innings of play.
• After a quiet third inning, Scott Angstadt tied the game in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI single.
• York scored single runs in the top of the fifth and sixth innings to take a 5-3 lead. The Lions then took advantage of some shaky York defense as Harrisburg plated three runs on a hit and two errors to take a 6-5 lead.
• The Spartans answered the Lions three runs in a big way as the Green and White tallied four runs in the top of the seventh. Patrick Clement started the scoring with an RBI double. Grant Oberholtzer followed with a two run single and came around to score on an error as York took a 9-6 lead. Harrisburg got one of those runs back as Bret Williams was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
• York put the game out of reach in the last two innings as they notched two in the eighth and three more in the ninth to account for the seven-run win.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Christian Bilan: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 1 RBI, 3B
Grant Oberholtzer: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
Zach Hossler: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, BB, HR
Garrett Southern: 2-for-4, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, HR
Patrick Clement: 1-for-2, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Lion Offensive Leaders
Zachary Koroneos: 2-for-3, 2 RBI
Alex Cline: 1-for-2, 4 runs scored, 1 RBI, HR, 3 BB
Scott Angstadt: 2-for-2, 1 run scored, RBI
Bret Williams: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Will Grega: 5.0 IP, 6 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 3 BB, 4 K
Ben Demchak: 0.0 IP, 1 hit, 3 runs, 1 earned run, 2 BB
Brandon Haggerty: 1.1 IP, 0 hits, 1 earned run, 4 BB, 3 K (Win, 3-0)
Conor Miller: 2.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 5 K (Save, 1)
Zach Gettys: 3.2 IP, 3 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 6 BB, 3 K
Bobby Patterson: 1.2 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 K
Tristan James: 1.2 IP, 3 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 1 BB, 2 K (Loss, 1-1)
Brad Richards: 0.2 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K
Austin Kunkel: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K
Kieran Kearns: 0.2 IP, 1 hit, 1 earned run, 1 K
The Spartans are now 20-2 all time against the Lions as they have won three straight in the series … the two teams square off again on Sunday in York.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday as they head to Arlington, Virginia to face the Saints from Marymount University in a Capital Athletic Conference twin bill. Game one is slated for a 12:00 pm start.