ASHLAND, VA – The York College baseball squad surrendered four runs in the bottom of the ninth inning as the Randolph-Macon Yellow Jackets forged an 18-18 tie in a non-conference slugfest in Ashland, Virginia on Thursday.
The game featured a combined 36 runs, 37 hits, six errors, 13 walks, and seven hit batters and while 16 pitchers saw action. The game took a lengthy 3:49 to play nine innings. The game was called after nine due to darkness. The Yellow Jackets are ranked tenth in the country in Division III.
Records: York 8-6-1, Randolph-Macon 14-3-1
Score: York 18, Randolph-Macon 18
Hits: York 19, Randolph-Macon 18
Errors: York 4, Randolph-Macon
Left on Base: York 10, Randolph-Macon 14
Doubles: York 4, Randolph-Macon 3
Triples: York 1, Randolph-Macon 1
Home Runs: York 1, Randolph-Macon 1
How It Happened
• The Yellow Jackets jumped out to an early lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first inning. Both teams scored single runs in the second inning. York then plated three runs in the top of the third to take the lead. Two of those runs came courtesy of a two run blast to left from lead off hitter Grant Oberholtzer. The third run came when Collin Crowell was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded.
• York tallied two more runs in the top of the fourth as the Green and White took a 6-3 lead. The Yellow Jackets responded with a six run bottom of the fourth as Randolph-Macon got the six runs on five hits, three walks and an error. Rick Spiers had the big blow in the inning with a two run triple.
• The Yellow Jackets got a single run on a Joseph Tuzzolo sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fifth, pushing their lead to 10-6. York tied the game with a four-spot in the top of the sixth. Christian Bilan and freshman Jack Barry each had a run scoring double. Bilan's plated two while Barry's scored one for York.
• The Spartans took a temporary one run lead with a single run in the top of the seventh courtesy of a Zach Hossler RBI single after Oberholtzer tripled with one out. Randolph-Macon answered with three runs in the bottom of the inning as Tuzzolo had a two run double to center before he came around to score on a Michael Nickles single to right as RMC led 13-11 heading to the eighth.
• York exploded for seven runs in the top of the eighth, scoring the seven runs on just five hits with a Yellow Jacket error, a trio of hit batters. Cole Migliorini homered to right in the bottom of the eighth as York held an 18-14 lead heading to the ninth. York went in order in the ninth but the Yellow Jackets refused to go away quietly. Randolph-Macon loaded the bases with a base hit and a pair of walks. After a strikeout, Ryan Duphorn drew a bases loaded walk to make it 18-15. Cole Grinde then had a pinch hit RBI single, cutting York's lead to 18-16. Migliorini drove in a run with an RBI ground out for the second out of the inning. Rick Spiers then had an infield single to tie the game at 18. Tuzzolo flied out to end the game as the teams ended tied for the second time in the last three years.
Spartan Offensive Leaders
Grant Oberholtzer: 5-for-6, 5 runs scored, 3 RBI, 3B, HR
Christian Bilan: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, 4 RBI, 2 2B
Seth Brosius: 2-for-5, 3 runs scored, 3 RBI,
Jack Barry: 2-for-5, 3 RBI, 2B
Collin Crowell: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, 3 RBI
Bailey Doan: 2-for-4, 4 runs scored, 2B
Garrett Southern: 2-for-5, 1 run scored
Yellow Jacket Offensive Leaders
Cole Migliorini: 5-for-6, 4 runs scored, 4 RBI, 2B, HR
Rick Spiers: 3-for-6, 2 runs scored, 5 RBI
Ryan Duphorn: 3-for-5, 3 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2 BB
Joseph Tuzzolo: 2-for-7, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, 2B
Michael Nickles: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Brandon Haggerty: 3.2 IP, 9 hits, 8 earned runs, 3 BB, 0 K
Jake Herr: 0.1 IP, 1 hit, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 3 BB, 1 K
Conor Miller: 2.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 0 K
Jeff Noss: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 0 BB, 0 K
Ben Demchak: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K
Zac Stoll: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 2 BB, 1 K
Yellow Jacket Pitching
Rick Spiers: 2.1 IP, 6 hits, 4 earned runs, 2 BB, 0 K
Tyler Dunn: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 K
Mike Gallagher: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs
Michael Zubovich: 1.1 IP, 4 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs
Patrick Solomita: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB
Tommy Barron: 1.0 IP, 2 hits, 1 earned run, 1 K
Daniel Lachance: 0.1 IP, 2 hits, 3 earned runs
Christian Cok: 0.0 IP, 1 hit, 4 runs, 1 earned run
Cody Thompson: 0.2 IP, 2 hits, 1 K
The Spartans and Yellow Jackets tied for the second time since 2016 … the last York tie came on March 24, 2016 against Randolph-Macon as they finished the game knotted up at 12 … York now has seven ties in the 49 year history of the Spartan program … York is now 4-10-2 all-time against Randolph-Macon … York is 2-1-2 in their last five against RMC … after getting shutout on March 14, the Spartans have scored double figures in runs in all five of the following games … York is averaging 14.8 runs per game in those five contests … York has scored double figures in runs in eight of their 15 games for the year … junior Grant Oberholtzer banged out a career-high five hits in the game … that ties for the fourth-highest total of hits in a game … Oberholtzer also scored a career-high five runs … Oberholtzer is 15-for-24 in his last five games with three doubles, one triple, a home run and 16 runs scored … senior Christian Bilan has been hot as of late as he is 14-for-25 in his last five games with 18 RBI, 10 runs scored, five doubles, a triple, and a home run … the 17 earned runs allowed in the game were a season-high for the pitching staff … York pitchers walked 10, which tied a season high while they notched just three strikeouts, their second-lowest total of the year … York pitching allowed double figures in runs for the fifth time this year.
The Spartans are scheduled to return to action on Saturday when they will host Christopher Newport in a Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader. Game one is scheduled for a 12:00 pm start at Jaquet Field.