ALLENTOWN, PA – The York College women's cross country squad concluded their successful 2018 season with a ninth place finish at the Mid-East Regionals hosted by DeSales University in Allentown, PA.
The Spartans finished with 283 points for the championship. Johns Hopkins won the regional with a mere 36 points while Dickinson was second with 79. Carnegie Mellon (137 points), Haverford (244 points), and Misericordia (250 points) rounded out the top five teams. The fourth through ninth teams were separated by 39 points. The Spartans finished nine points out of sixth place.
Top Spartan Finishers
• Freshman Jordan Haberstroh, fresh off being named the CAC Rookie of the Year at the conference championship meet, was York's top finisher as she placed 36th with a time of 24:05. Haberstroh was two seconds away from earning an All-Regional honor as the top 35 runners earn All-Region honors.
• Sophomore Emma Rogers was next in line for York as she placed 39th with a time of 24:10, marking her highest regional finish for her brief Spartan career.
• Seniors Jess DelViscio and Alayna De Bruin were the Spartans' next two finishers. DelViscio closed out her fantastic career with a 47th place finish as she crossed the line in a time of 24:24. De Bruin was right behind her classmate as she placed 49th with a time of 24:26. The duo has been a huge part of three consecutive CAC championships.
• Freshman Taylor Barkdoll was the fifth Spartan to cross the finish line as she placed 112th with a time of 25:27. Junior Rachel Banchiere was right on her heels as she placed 113th with a time of 25:28.
• Freshman Amber Strouse rounded out York's top seven finishers as she completed the race in a time of 26:01.
The Spartans improved from their 14th place finish in 2017 … the ninth-place finish is York's best in the last five years and the first time they have broken into the top 10 in the region … freshman Jordan Haberstroh was the sixth best freshman finisher at the meet … the 49th place finish for senior Alayna De Bruin was her career best finish at the regionals.
The regional championship closes out a successful Spartan fall for the cross country squad. The Spartans will say good bye to their two lone seniors as Alayna De Bruin and Jess DelViscio have closed out their cross country careers. The duo was an instrumental part of the tremendous success the Spartan women have had over the last three years. De Bruin finished her career as a three-time All-CAC honoree while DelViscio was a four-time first-team All-CAC runner for the Green and White.