YORK, PA – York College head cross country coach Stephen LoBianco has announced the Spartans men's and women's cross country schedules for the 2017 season.
The Spartan women are coming off the program's first Capital Athletic Conference championship. The Spartan women also earned a top ten finish at the 51-team regional in November.
The men's squad finished second at the CAC championships and fourth at the regionals as they welcome back a loaded squad in search of a conference title of their own.
The Spartan women welcome back four of their six All-CAC finishers from last year including first team junior Alayna De Bruin, junior Jess Delviscio, and sophomore Stephanie Savage. Second teamer Kristi Wandzilak also returns to the Spartan line up.
The men return all four of their All-CAC finishers as seniors Grant Dell, Andy MacGibbon, and Alex Smith are joined by junior Benjamin Linne to headline an impressive crew of returning runners for the Green and White.
Here is a look at the 2017 Spartan schedules.
• The Spartans open the season on Friday, September 1 with a trip to the Piper XC Challenge hosted by Shippensburg University. The event is run under the lights on the Shippensburg campus and features a good balance of talented Division II and Division III teams. It will be the seventh straight year that the Spartans have participated in the event hosted by the Red Raiders.
• York's other September meet will be a trip to Kutztown University on Saturday, September 16 to participate in the D2/D3 Invitational. Last year was York's first trip to Kutztown for the D2/D3 challenge.
• The October slate is York's busiest with competitions on three of the four weekends of the month. The action kicks off on October 7 with a trip to Allentown to compete in the DeSales University Invitational. The men finished second of 38 teams at the event last year while the women placed sixth of 35 teams.
• The Green and White then head to Glassboro, New Jersey to compete in the Inter-Regional Border Battle hosted by Rowan University. This is a new event for the Spartans and will serve for York's final tune up for the Capital Athletic Conference Championships.
• The Spartans get two weeks between the Inter-Regional Border Battle and the conference championships hosted by Christopher Newport. The Captains and Spartans split the conference championships last year as the York women won followed by the Captains in second. On the men's side, CNU won the title while the Spartans finished second.
• The Spartans continue post-season action on November 11 with a trip to the Mideast Regionals hosted by Dickinson College. Both Spartan squads registered top ten finishes last year. The men set a new school record with a fourth place finish in the 52-team field. The women placed ninth, their second-highest finish in school history.
• The Division III National Championship meet will be held on Saturday, November 18 in Elsha, Illinois.
COACH LOBIANCO'S THOUGHTS ON THE SEASON
"I have always believed in setting up our season as a progression," says LoBianco. "We want to be running our best at the end of the season. Each year, I look back and evaluate if we put ourselves in position to be great at the end of the year. It's always a work in progress but the last few years, the schedule has really gotten us prepared for the end of the year. We have one new event this year and I am excited about getting to go somewhere new. I always like to measure ourselves against our conference and regional opponents and a number of our meets give us that opportunity."
GETTING IT STARTED
The Spartan squad comes back to campus on Friday, August 18 with the first full-squad workout planned for Saturday, August 19.