YORK, PA – The York College Spartan volleyball team split their two match during day two of the 2018 York College Spartan Volleyball Invitational in Wolf Gymnasium in York. The Spartans downed Elizabethtown 3-1 in the opener. The Spartans then dropped a 3-2 decision to nationally ranked (#16) Johns Hopkins in the nightcap.
Match vs. Elizabethtown:
Records: York 3-2, Elizabethtown 1-6
York def. Elizabethtown 3-1 (21-25, 25-19, 25-20, 25-19)
Kills: York 51, Etown 40
Errors: York 22, Etown 21
Attack Percentage: York .216, Etown .129
Assists: York 47, Etown 38
Service Aces: York 13, Etown 7
Digs: York 72, Etown 50
Blocks: YCP 10.0, Etown 8.0
Brooke Krebs: 14 kills, .242 attack %, 1 assist, 8 digs, 2 block assists
Tyler Williams: 14 kills, .194 attack %, 4 digs
Eryn Brady: 8 kills, .304 attack % (8-1-23), 3 digs, 2 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 25 assists, 5 service aces, 8 digs
Molly McCann: 18 assists, 11 digs, 1 service ace, 1 kill
Alexis Harbold: 22 digs, 1 service ace
Blue Jay Leaders
Mackenzie Garner: 11 kills, .400 attack % (11-1-25), 4 block assists, 1 dig
Rileigh Hudock: 30 assists, 16 digs, 2 kills, 1 service ace, 1 block assist
Elle Shatto: 8 kills, 2 service aces, 12 digs, 1 block solo, 1 block assist
How It Happened:
• The first set was like many this weekend as it was close from the start. With the set tied at 18, the Blue Jays hit York with a crucial 5-1 run that gave Elizabethtown a 23-19 lead. Elizabethtown got a pair of kills from Mackenzie Garner to finish off the set.
• The Blue Jays jumped out to a big 8-1 second set lead only to see the Spartans draw even at 14. That was part of a 9-1 run that gave the Green and White a 20-15 lead. Elizabethtown cut the lead to four at 22-18 but the Spartans would close out the set with a Brooke Krebs kill and a Cheyenne Altland service ace as the Green and White won 25-19.
• The third set was another tight game. With the set tied at seven, York went on a 5-0 run to seize temporary control of the set. The Blue Jays tied the set at 16 on an Elle Shatto kill. The Spartans put together a 7-3 run to take a 23-19 lead. York got a Brooke Krebs kill and a Blue Jay attack error to earn the 25-20 win.
• In the fourth set, the Spartans surged out to an early lead only to have Elizabethtown tie the set at 11. York answered with a 6-0 run for the 17-11 lead. The Spartan lead would not fall below three the rest of the way as they earned the 25-19 fourth set victory.
Match vs. Johns Hopkins
Records: York 3-3, #16 Johns Hopkins 5-0
JHU def. York 3-2 (25-23, 25-22, 22-25, 20-25, 15-8)
Kills: York 51, JHU 50
Errors: York 17, JHU 24
Attack Percentage: York .224, JHU .160
Assists: York 49, JHU 48
Service Aces: York 1, JHU 6
Digs: York 65, JHU 84
Blocks: YCP 15.0, JHU 0
Madyson Whitcomb: 16 kills, .464 attack % (16-3-28), 3 solo blocks, 4 block assists
Eryn Brady: 10 kills, .258 attack % (10-2-31), 3 block assists
Gabby Emeigh: 24 assists, 7 digs
Molly McCann: 20 assists, 11 digs
Alexis Harbold: 18 digs, 4 assists
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 8 kills, 2 solo blocks, 4 block assists, 2 digs
How It Happened:
• The Blue Jays took the early advantage but the Spartans pulled to within one at 12-11. The Blue Jays slowly pulled away only to have York climb back into the match and trim the Blue Jay lead to 24-23. Hopkins notched the next point to capture set one.
• The second set was another back and forth affair. The Blue Jays pushed out to an early 13-11 lead only to have York surge ahead 19-18. Hopkins responded with four straight points for the 22-19 lead. The Green and White scored two straight but the Blue Jays finished off the set with three of the final four points to capture the 25-22 set win as they took the 2-0 lead.
• York started to gain momentum and get themselves back into the match in the third set. York ripped off seven straight points to take a 16-10 lead. Hopkins scored eight of the next 11 points to cut the York lead to one at 19-18. The Green and White finished the game winning six of the next eight points to become the first team in five matches to win as set against the #16 Blue Jays.
• York followed that with a strong fourth set as they jumped out to a 14-7 lead. However, the Blue Jays slowly cut the lead to two at 20-18. York finished the set strong as they forced a fifth set with a 25-20 win.
• The Blue Jays turned it on in the fifth set as they jumped out to an early lead and cruised from there. Hopkins led 7-3 and pushed that lead to 10-5 before scoring five of the final eight points to capture the match. It was the first time the Blue Jays have had to go to five sets since last year's Sweet 16.
York heads to former Capital Athletic Conference foe Marymount in a non-conference match against the Saints. The match is slated for a 7:00 pm start on Wednesday night.