YORK, PA – The York College volleyball team suffered their second consecutive defeat in as many days, falling to the University of Mary Washington 3-1 on Saturday in Capital Athletic Conference action. The Spartans dropped the first two sets, but battled back in the third before eventually losing in the fourth.
Mary Washington defeats York 25-16, 25-20, 23-25, and 25-12
Records: York (19-9, 5-4 CAC), Mary Washington (18-9, 7-2 CAC)
How It Happened
• Mary Washington jumped out to an early 8-3 lead in the first set, prompting a timeout from head coach Dan Mickle. The Spartans recovered, closing the deficit to 12-10 after a monster block.
• The Eagles put together five consecutive points directly after that, though, pushing their lead to 17-10. Mary Washington, who entered the day tied for second in the Capital Athletic Conference, went on to take the first set 25-16.
• Both teams started even in the second set, with York taking an early 6-5 advantage before the Eagles took three straight points. Down 14-11 in the second, Brooke Krebs comes up with a monster kill that triggered a 3-0 mini-run for the Spartans, tying it back at 14.
• An ace from Molly McCann floated York ahead again 18-17 late in the second set, but Mary Washington immediately equalized on the next point. The two teams traded points until it was 19-19. A long rally ensued with York up 20-19, but a violation was called after what seemed to be a Spartan point. It turned into a massive momentum swing, as Mary Washington won six consecutive points to win the second set 25-20.
• The third set, much like the second, went back and forth and neither team could build a lead. At 16-16, Mary Washington pulled ahead on a service error, which kick started a 3-0 run for the Eagles. Down 19-16, Krebs secured a kill to break the momentum a bit. Another service error, though, gave Mary Washington a 21-18 advantage.
• Kierstin Grove tomahawked two consecutive balls immediately after a Mary Washington hit, completely swinging the momentum and forcing a timeout by the Eagles. Grove's pair of points tied the third set at 21. A huge dig from Alexis Harbold led to a kill from Eryn Brady to put York ahead 23-21, just two points away from the set.
• An enormous rally went Mary Washington's way to trim the York lead to 24-23 but again Krebs hammered one to the floor to win 25-23.
• Mary Washington started strong in the fourth set, taking the first six points. Eventually, York trailed 12-1 before getting another serve in the fourth. The Spartans battled back to trim the lead to 14-6. York got as close as 16-10, but another service error halted the comeback, as the Spartans fell 25-12.
Tyler Williams: 9 kills, .217 attack pct., 9.0 points
Alexis Harbold: 20 digs, .905 receive pct.
Brooke Krebs: 8 kills, .156 attack pct., 8 digs, 11.5 points
Gabby Emiegh: 16 assists, 5 digs
Molly McCann: 12 assists
Eryn Brady: 7 kills, 8.5 points
York clinches the No. 5 seed in the CAC playoffs, meaning they will travel to Salisbury in the first round … the loss marked the third two-game losing streak for the Spartans … York has not lost three in a row all season … after starting 9-1 at home this season, York is now 9-3.
On Tuesday, the Spartans will travel to Salisbury for the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference playoffs.