DOVER, DEL – The York College volleyball had to grind out another five set victory as they outlasted Wesley College 3-2 in Capital Athletic Conference action on Saturday morning in Dover, Delaware. The Spartans had rally from a 2-1 deficit to earn the win. It was their fourth straight five set match and third straight victory.
The Spartans played their second five set match in the last 16 hours after beating Salisbury in five in Maryland on Friday night.
Scores: York defeated Wesley 25-16, 25-27, 23-25, 25-13, 18-16
Records: York (Pa.) 19-7 (5-2 CAC), Wesley 15-12 (2-6 CAC)
Kills: York 68, Wesley 52
Attack Errors: York 18, Wesley 22
Attack %: York .309, Wesley .200
Assists: York 60, Wesley 46
Service Aces: York 19, Wesley 13
Service Errors: York 11, Wesley 4
Digs: York 63, Wesley 67
Solo Blocks: York 1, Wesley 0
Block Assists: York 10, Wesley 19
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got off to a quick start in the opening set as they led the Wolverines 10-4 early. York eventually pushed the lead to 20-10 on an Eryn Brady kill. York closed out the set one win with a Hannah Siaurusaitis kill to earn the 25-16 victory.
• In set two, York again got off to a good start with a 10-5 lead. The Spartan seemingly had control of the set as they led 24-18 but the Wolverines got off the mat and ripped off a 9-1 spurt that enabled Wesley to steal a 27-25 set two win.
• The Wolverines jumped all over Spartans in the third set as they blitzed York with a 7-0 start. York went on a 13-6 run to tie the set at 13. Wesley scored seven of the next eight points to take a 20-14 lead. The Wolverines pushed out to a 24-18 lead but York ripped off five straight points to cut the Wesley lead to one. The Woverines closed out the set on a Spartan attack error as they led 2-1.
• The fourth set was tight from the beginning as it was tied at 10 after 20 points. The Spartans then went on an 11-1 run to turn the tie into a 10-point lead. York closed out the set with a 25-13 victory as they forced a decisive fifth set.
• The fifth set was a back-and-forth affair with neither team able to get bigger than a four-point lead. The Wolverines held an 11-7 advantage but York scored the next three points to put to within one at 11-10. Wesley scored the next three points to put the Spartans on the edge of a loss at 14-10. York answered back with four straight points of their own to tie the set at 14. Tyler Williams had a pair of kills on the game-saving run. After a Spartan service error gave the Wolverines a one-point lead, Williams tied the set up at 15 with another kill. The teams would be again tied, this time at 16. The Spartans earned the win with a Brady kill and an Alexis Harbold service ace to close out the victory.
Tyler Williams: 14 kills, .462 attack %, 2 assists, 1 block assist, 14.5 points
Eryn Brady: 14 kills, .250 attack %, 3 digs, 14 points
Cheyenne Altland: 11 kills, .476 attack %, 3 service aces, 3 block assists, 15.5 points
Brooke Krebs: 11 kills, .333 attack %, 5 service aces, 10 digs, 3 block assists, 17.5 points
Alexis Harbold: 26 digs, 2 service aces, 6 assists
Gabby Emeigh: 32 assists, 6 service aces, 4 digs, 1 kill
Molly McCann: 18 assists, 6 digs, 1 block assist
Tionne Graves-Brown: 16 kills, .375 attack %, 2 service aces, 11 digs, 5 block assists, 20.5 points
Courtney Olson: 11 kills, .194 attack %, 4 digs, 2 block assists, 12 points
Reagan Healey: 3 kills, 7 service aces, 9 digs, 10 points
Lindsay Burg: 23 assists, 1 service ace, 1 kill, 7 digs
Teghen Vogelsang: 15 assists, 1 service ace, 6 digs
The Spartans improve to 10-0 against Wesley as a conference opponent … the last two matches at Wesley's Wentworth Gymnasium between the two teams have gone to five sets … York improves to 6-1 in five set matches as they have played four in a row, going 3-1 … York finished the match with 68 kills, just one short of their season high of 69 set in the win over Messiah … York hit .309 for the match and that's just the third time this year they have hit over .300 … their season high attack percentage was .316 in the win over St. Mary's ... York had a season-high 19 service aces, besting their previous high of 18 set in the 3-1 win over Houghton on September 16 … York had a season-high four blocking errors in the win … freshman Tyler Williams continues to play great as she now has four straight games of double figures in kills as she had another career-high tying 14 kills in the win … Williams hit a blistering .462 with just two errors in 26 attempts in the win … Williams has 50 kills in the last four matches as she is hitting .268 in her last four matches … junior Eryn Brady registered her fourth straight double digit kill performance with her 14 kills … Brady combined for 32 kills in the two weekend wins on the road … sophomore Gabby Emeigh tied her career-high with six service aces in the win while Brooke Krebs added five service aces of her own … Krebs has her own streak of four matches with double figures in kills while she has also reached double figures in kills in five of her last six matches.
The Spartans will get a much deserved few days off before returning to action on Friday, October 27 against Christopher Newport. The Spartans and Captains kick off the weekend with a 7:00 pm match at Charles Wolf Gymnasium. The Spartans then conclude their regular season with a home match against Mary Washington on Saturday at 3:00 pm.