SALISBURY, MD – The York College volleyball squad picked up a huge Capital Athletic Conference win as the Spartans outlasted the Salisbury University Sea Gulls 3-2 in Salisbury, Maryland on Friday night.
The win snaps a 15 match losing streak to Salisbury and also ends a nine game losing streak at the Maggs Center.
Match Scores: York defeats Salisbury, 25-20, 26-24, 18-25, 22-25, 15-10
Records: York (Pa.) 18-7 (4-2 CAC), Salisbury 15-8 (4-3 CAC)
Kills: York 62, SAL 51
Errors: York 21, SAL 20
Attack %: York .243, SAL .193
Assists: York 54, SAL 47
Service Aces: York 9, SAL 11
Service Errors: York 9, SAL 4
Digs: York 71, SAL 69
Block Solos: York 0, SAL 3
Block Assists: York 8, SAL 10
How it Happened:
• In the opening set, the Spartans sprinted out to a 9-3 lead. The Gulls cut the Spartan lead to 14-11 but York went on a 6-0 run to extend their lead to 20-11. Salisbury again cut the Spartan lead to three but the Green and White scored four of the final six points of the set to take the early lead.
• In the second set, the Spartans again jumped out to an early lead as they scored ten of the first 15 points of the set. Salisbury battled back to tie the set at 14 all. Salisbury took a 15-14 lead but York ripped off six straight points, all on Alexis Harbold's serve to take a 20-15 lead. Salisbury scored nine of the next 13 points, tying the set at 24. York got a Kierstin Grove kill and a Salisbury attack error to pull out the 26-24 set two win.
• The third set was much like the first two with York jumping out to an early lead, this time a 10-6 advantage. This time, the Sea Gulls went on a 10-0 run turning the four-point deficit into a six-point lead. York cut the Salisbury lead to three at 18-11 but the Gulls would hold on for the 25-18 game three win.
• Game four saw the Gulls blast out of the gate, taking a commanding 20-9 lead. However, the Spartans battled back to get two within two at 24-22 courtesy of a 13-4 run but the hole would be too big to climb out of as the match headed to the fifth set.
• The Spartans got off to a hot start in the fifth and decisive set. They jumped on the Gulls with ten points in the first 12 of the set. The Spartan run came on nine serves from Harbold. Salisbury cut the lead to 13-9 but York scored two of the final three points to secure the 15-10 win. The match finished on a Hannah Siaurusaitis kil.
Eryn Brady: 18 kills, .372 attack %, 1 block assist, 18.5 points
Brooke Krebs: 16 kills, .238 attack %, 9 digs, 3 service aces, 1 block assist, 19.5 points
Tyler Williams: 14 kills, .238 attack %, 2 digs, 14.0 points
Gabby Emeigh: 33 assists, 1 kill, 2 service aces, 7 digs
Alexis Harbold: 31 digs, 6 assists, 2 service aces
Molly McCann: 14 assists, 4 digs
Heather Secrist: 13 digs, 1 service ace
Sea Gull Leaders
Nicole Venturellii: 16 kills, 9 digs, 16.0 points
Sydney Davis: 12 kills, .391 attack %, 2 solo blocks, 3 block assists, 16.5 points
Lacey Swartout: 10 kills, 2 block assists, 11 points
Carley Cleland: 9 kills, 2 block assists, 1 service ace, 11 points
Racel Dubbs: 23 assists, 5 digs
Alexis Howatt: 18 assists, 1 block assist
Hailey Dougherty: 25 digs, 4 service aces, 3 assists
The Spartans ended a pair of lengthy streaks against the Sea Gulls … the victory snaps a 15 game losing streak against Salisbury …. York's last win over Salisbury came on October 12, 2005 as the Green and White posted a 3-0 win … the win also snaps a nine game losing streak at the Maggs Center as the Spartans' last victory in Salisbury, Maryland came on September 18, 2002, a 3-1 win for York … the Spartans had been outscored 21-4 in thelr last seven matches against Salisbury … the Spartans improve to 5-1 in five set matches this year as they have won two straight five setters … four of York's last five matches have gone to five sets as they are 3-1 in those matches …junior Eryn Brady set a new career high with her 18 kills in the win ...Brady has had double figures in kills in her last three matches ... Brady has 41 kills and is hitting .300 in her last three matches ... freshman Tyler Williams has stepped up in the absence of Madyson Whitcomb as she has reached double figures in kills in five of her last six matches including 14 in the win over the Sea Gulls … junior Alexis Harbold has collected 187 digs in her last seven matches (29 sets played), good for an average of 6.44 digs per set … York hit .243 for the match, that is the eighth time this year that York has hit over .240 for a match … York had 64 kills which is their second highest total of the year (69 vs. Messiah) … York has just 10 solo blocks in their last six games.
The Spartans return to action on Saturday morning as they head to Dover, Delaware to face the Wesley College Wolverines in a CAC contest. The match is slated for an 11:00 am start.