GRANTHAM, PA – The York College volleyball squad swept the Messiah Quad on Saturday afternoon in Grantham, PA. The Spartans defeated the host Falcons in five sets and completed the day with a four set win over Houghton College. The Spartans have won three of their last four matches to improve to 8-4 overall.
York def. Messiah 23-25, 26-24, 25-23, 24-26, 15-11
Records: York 7-4, Messiah 2-7
Kills: York 69, Messiah 62
Errors: York 19, Messiah 18
Attacks: York 178, Messiah 173
Attack %: York .281, Messiah .254
Assists: York 62, Messiah 58
Service Aces: York 7, Messiah 7
Service Errors: York 14, Messiah 12
Digs: York 79, Messiah 72
Solo Blocks: York 0, Messiah 3
Block Assists: York 14, Messiah 2
How It Happened:
• In the first set, the Spartans sprinted out to a 10-2 lead. The Falcons would work their way back into the set, eventually tying the set at 22. A Messiah kill followed by a Falcon service error tied the set at 23. A Spartan service error followed by a Spartan attack error allowed the Falcons to capture set one 25-23.
• The Spartans got off to another quick start in the second set as they led 10-3. Again, the Falcons slowly chipped away at the lead, eventually knotting the score at 23. The teams traded points to tie it at 24. Brooke Krebs registered a kill followed by a ball handling error by the Falcons, giving York the 26-24 set two victory.
• The third set was back and forth with neither team holding more than a three-point lead. With the set tied at 23, freshman Kierstin Grove banged out kill followed by another Messiah ball handling error, giving York the 2-1 lead at 25-23.
• The fourth set saw Messiah turn the tables as they jumped out to an 11-4 lead to start the set. The Spartans tied the set at 22, 23 and 24 before a Spartan attack error and a Jennifer Rueling kill gave the Falcons a 26-24 set four win, forcing the decisive fifth set.
• York answered the Falcon win with a quick 10-3 lead to start the fifth set. Messiah got to within two at 13-11 but York closed out the match with a Falcon attack error and an Emily Pupo service ace.
Madyson Whitcomb: 22 kills, .275 attack %, 6 block assists, 25 points
Brooke Krebs: 18 kills, .267 attack %, 12 digs, 1 service ace, 3 block assists, 20.5 points
Kierstin Grove: 8 kills, .500 attack %, 4 digs, 1 block assist
Gabby Emeigh: 37 assists, 1 kill, 1 service ace, six digs
Alexis Harbold: 31 digs, 3 service aces
Emily Pupo: 19 digs, two service aces
York def. Houghton 12-25, 25-10, 25-10, 25-12
Records: York 8-4, Houghton 5-6
Kills: York 40, Houghton 27
Errors: York 16, Houghton 17
Attacks: York 117, Houghton 98
Attack %: York .205, Houghton .102
Assists: York 34, Houghton 24
Service Aces: York 18, Houghton 6
Service Errors: York 12, Houghton 9
Digs: York 45, Houghton 50
Solo Blocks: York 0, Houghton 2
Block Assists: York 4, Houghton 2
How It Happened:
• Houghton jumped on the weary Spartans after York just finished a five set match. Houghton went up 12-4 in the first set and never looked back, spanking the Spartans 25-12 in the first set.
• York responded emphatically in the second set as they sprinted out to a 13-4 lead. Houghton cut it to 16-8 but York went on an 8-0 run to take a 24-8 lead before finishing the set up with an Madyson Whitcomb kill for the 25-10 win, leveling the match at one set each.
• The third set was close for most of the game as there were five ties, the final one coming at 14-14. York went on a 7-1 run to take a 21-14 lead. Houghton would not get closer than four the rest of the way as York picked up the 25-20 win.
• The fourth set was again close early. York held a 12-8 lead on a Tyler Williams kill. That started a 7-3 Spartan run that pushed York's lead to 19-11. York scored six of the final seven points of the set to seal the 3-1 victory.
Brooke Krebs: 10 kills, .400 attack %, 10 digs, 5 service aces, 15.5 points
Madyson Whitcomb: 8 kills, .222 attack %, 8.0 points
Gabby Emeigh: 17 assists, 5 service aces, 7 digs
Hannah Siaurusaitis: 7 kills, .389 attack %, 7.0 points
Alexis Harbold: 13 digs, 8 service aces, 2 assists
Molly McCann: 11 assists, 2 digs
The Spartans have won five straight against Messiah and the Green and White is now 1-1 all-time against Houghton with their last match coming on September 13, 2014 … sophomore Madyson Whitcomb had a career-high 22 kills in the win over the Falcons … the 22 kills are tied for fifth on the all-time single match list … Whitcomb's .475 attack percentage was also a career-high for the sophomore … junior Brooke Krebs also set a new career-high with 18 kills in the win over the Falcons … Krebs' 45 attacks also set a new career standard … junior Alexis Harbold had a career-high eight service aces in the win over Houghton … the eight service aces are tied for fifth on the single-game list … sophomore Gabby Emeigh set a new career-high with 37 assists in the victory against Messiah … York tallied a season-high 69 kills in the win over Messiah … the Spartans are 2-0 in five set matches this year … York hit a season-high .281 … the Spartans banged out a season-high 18 service aces in the win over Houghton.
The Spartans return to action on Friday, September 22 when they host the York College Spartan Invitational Tournament. York hosts Kings College at 3:00 pm on Friday followed by a 7:00 pm match against Bethany (W.V.). The tournament runs Friday from 3-10 pm followed by matches on Saturday.