FROSTBURG, MD – The York College women's track and field squad had a great weekend at the 2016 Capital Athletic Conference Championship meet hosted by Frostburg State University. The Spartans placed fourth at the championships as they totaled 88 points. The Spartans' fourth place finish was an improvement over the fifth place finish at the indoor championships.
Christopher Newport won the team title with 178 points followed by Salisbury with 128 points. Wesley was third with 118 points.
York had a pair of individual winners as Alicia Dillman won the 10K and Kathleen Cannon was victorious in the 5K. Dillman, the 2015 CAC women's cross country champion, posted a time of 39:11.12 to win the title by over 18 seconds in a dominant performance. Dillman also finished second behind Cannon in the 5K as she posted a time of 18:37.56. Cannon edged her teammate with a time of 18:36.80.
York also had a pair of school records broken at the championships. Freshman Jada Griffin-Howard broke her own school-record in the 400-meter dash as she cracked the one minute threshold as she crossed the finish line in a time of 59.82.
The 4x400-meter relay team broke the school record they established earlier this season as the crossed the line in a time of 4:07.52. The relay team consisted of Griffin-Howard, Morgan Jones, Emily Plante, and Emily Cronise as they placed third in the race.
Junior Kasey Fogelsanger was the Spartans third All-CAC performer as she was the runner-up in the 3000-meter steeplechase. Fogelsanger recorded a time of 11:55.97 to earn the all-conference honors. Freshman Jess Delviscio earned second-team All-CAC honors in the 1,500 meter run as she placed second with a personal best time of 4:55.59.
York had a number of other stellar performances including:
• Freshman Megan Kerstetter placed third in the javelin with a career-best throw of 34.81 meters.
• Plante finished third in the 400 hurdles as the sophomore recorded a career-best time of 1:09.91. Teammate Anne Measley placed fifth in the race with a time of 1:09.32.
• Freshman Alayna De Bruin placed third in the steeplechase behind Fogelsanger as she recorded a personal best time of 12:03.90. DeBruin also posted a sixth place finish in the 1500 meter run with a time of 5:07.46.
• Junior Hannah Conway and sophomore Marisa Brisbane performed well in the 100 meter dash as they both notched personal best time. Conway crossed the finish line in a time of 12.95 while Brisbane notched a time of 13.21.
• Sophomore Oriana Howell notched a PR in the 10K as she crossed the line a time of 42.41.
• Freshman Kristi Wandzilak placed fourth in the 5K with a time of 18:57.73. Fogelsanger recorded a sixth place finish in the event with a time of 19:14.60.
• The Spartans' 4x100 relay team of Conway, Griffin-Howard, Brisbane, and Vanessa Blank placed third with a time of 50.67.
• Sophomore Jen Peters placed fifth in the pole vault with a best height of 2.60 meters.
They Said It:
"The women had a great meet. We have smaller numbers than many other teams in the CAC but we were able to improve our finish from the indoor championships. We only lose one senior for next year and we have a lot of potential on this team." – Head Coach Stephen LoBianco
The Spartans return to action on Saturday, April 30 when they travel to the Paul Kaiser Invitational hosted by Shippensburg University. The meet is slated for a 9:00 am start.