YORK, PA – York College junior forward Ryan Hussey netted a natural hat trick and the Spartan defense pitched its first shutout of the year as York raced past Alvernia University 5-0 in the Spartans' home opener on Sunday.
Final Score: York 5 - Alvernia
Records: York 1-1, Alvernia 0-2
Shots: York 26, Alvernia 6
Shots on Goal: York 11, Alvernia 4
Corner Kicks: York 6, Alvernia 1
Saves: York 4, Alvernia 6
How It Happened:
• The Spartans were a little sluggish early on but found their groove about 10 minutes into the game as they started to press consistently into the Golden Wolves' defensive third. That pressure resulted in York's first goal in the 15th minute of play. Senior Caitlin Rankin received a long outlet and played the ball down the right sideline. She carried the ball to the end line and then provided beautiful service to Natalie McCarthy who finished off the chance inside the far left post for York's first goal.
• York added to the lead in the 33rd minute as junior Ryan Hussey found herself all alone in the box with the ball. She finished the chance and gave York the 2-0 advantage.
• The Green and White continued to carry the play in the second half as Hussey struck again in the 52nd minute. Junior Victoria Niller crossed the ball from the left side of the box and Hussey drilled a shot just over the outstretched hands of Alvernia goalie Lily Sankey for the 3-0 Spartan lead.
• Hussey completed the natural hat trick just under ten minutes later. Freshman Emma Manno carried the ball down the left sideline and found Hussey alone, one-on-one against a charging Sankey. Hussey settled the ball and chipped it over Sankey's head for the 4-0 Spartan lead.
• The Spartans continued to push up offensively the remainder of the game but couldn't put another one home. The offensive push allowed the Spartan defense and goalie Sydney Kahn to record their first clean sheet of the year, as York surrendered just six shots, four on goal, in the win.
Ryan Hussey: 3 goals, 3 shots on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 1 goal, 6 shots, 4 shots on goal
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Caitlin Rankin: 2 assists, 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Victoria Niller: 1 asssist, 1 shot
Emma Manno: 1 assist, 2 shots
Golden Wolves Leaders
Kyla Gibson: 2 shots on goal
Madison Hengey: 1 shot on goal
Lauren Gough: 1 shot on goal
Sydney Kahn (YCP): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (Win, 1-1)
Lily Sankey (AU): 67:01 minutes played, 5 goals against, 6 saves (Loss, 0-2)
Kayla Samero (AU): 22:59 minutes played, 0 goals against, 0 saves
York is now 4-1-1 all-time against Alvernia … the Spartans have won two straight in the series … York is now 14-8-1 in home openers during the 23 years of the Spartan program … York extended a defensive scoreless streak against Alvernia as the Golden Wolves have not scored against York in their last three games covering 270 minutes (2 games in regulation and one double overtime game) … the five goals matched marked the first time they have reached five goals in a game since October 19, 2016 when they hung five goals on Wesley in a CAC win … junior Ryan Hussey recorded her first career hat trick in the win … the goals were the first of Hussey's Spartan career … the three goals ties her for second on the single game list … Hussey scored her three goals on just three shots … sophomore goalie Sydney Kahn picked up her first collegiate shutout with her three save clean sheet.
The Spartans return to Graham Field on Wednesday night when they host the McDaniel College Green Terror in a 7:00 pm contest.