WASHINGTON, DC – The York College women's soccer team surrendered a pair of late goals as they dropped their season opener at Catholic University 2-0 on Friday afternoon in Washington, D.C.
Final Score: CUA 2 – York 0
Records: York 0-1, CUA 1-0
Shots: York 15, CUA 8
Shots on Goal: York 5, CUA 4
Corner Kicks: York 9, CUA 1
Saves: York 5, CUA 2
How It Happened:
• The Spartans carried the play the majority of the day including the entire first half. The Spartans outshot the Cardinals 11-3 including 3-0 in shots on goal but the Cardinals' Nina Fernandez netted a trio of saves to keep the Spartans off the board.
• Catholic made some adjustment at the half as they were able to counter the Spartan offense, slowing down the Green and White attack in the second 45.
• The Cardinals broke the tie in the 85th minute as Elizabeth Johnson hit a cross from the right side of the box that Maggie Moorcones finished off for the goal.
• Catholic added an insurance goal just over a minute and a half later as Grace Boras collected a loose ball in the box that the Spartans couldn't clear and finished the chance for the 2-0 lead.
• The Spartans got their ninth and final corner kick in the 88th minute but couldn't create a chance as they suffered the shutout loss.
Natalie McCarthy: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Ally Badman: 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
Caitlin Rankin: 3 shots
Caitlyn Findlay: 2 shots
Erin Baier: 1 shot on goal
Grace Boras: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Maggie Moorcones: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Elizabeth Johnson: 6 shots, 2 shots on goal, 1 assist
Sydney Kahn (YCP): 90 minutes played, 2 goals against, 2 saves (Loss, 0-1)
Nina Fernandez (CUA): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 4 saves (Win, 1-0)
York is now 11-9-3 all-time in season openers under head coach Vicki Sterner as the Spartans opened their 23rd season as a varsity program … York is 223-162-36 all-time under Sterner, the only coach in the history of the program … York was shutout for the ninth time in their last 19 games.
The Spartans make their 2018 home debut on Sunday when they host Alvernia University in a non-conference contest. Kick off is set for 12:00 pm at Graham Field.