ST. MARY'S CITY, MD. – The York College women's soccer team conceded two goals in under four minutes, and were unable to rebound at St. Mary's College on Wednesday in Capital Athletic Conference action, falling 2-0. The loss eliminated the Spartans from CAC playoff contention, the first postseason without York since the program's inception in 1996.
Records: York 4-10-2 (3-5-1 CAC), St. Mary's 5-8-4 (4-3-2 CAC)
Shots: York 19, St. Mary's 8
Shots on goal: York 8, St. Mary's 6
Corner kicks: York 5, St. Mary's 2
Saves: York 4, St. Mary's 8
Fouls: York 8, St. Mary's 3
How It Happened
• The Spartans kept the ball well early on, but it was St. Mary's who found the net first. In the 16th minute, the ball bounced around the York box and landed at Alex Moody's left foot. Moody placed her shot just inside the far post to take the lead. The goal, which came against the run of play, sparked something for the Seahawks, as just four minutes later, Moody doubled the lead.
• In the 26th minute, Caitlin Rankin took her defender end line before cutting back and whipping in a dangerous cross. The opportunity didn't come to fruition, though, as a Spartan couldn't get on the end of it.
• Georgia Gillcrist, a constant threat off the bench, immediately made an impact. She was played in behind and blew by two defenders before sending in a cross in the 37th minute. The cross was a good one, and forced a Seahawk defender to clear it out of bounds for a corner. Shortly thereafter, Gillcrist put another cross in the box, but the St. Mary keeper made the play.
• York, after conceding the two goals, controlled a lot of the play, keeping possession in the attacking third. The Spartans recorded more shots (7) than St. Mary's in the first half, but were unable to find the back of the net.
• The Green and White continued to keep the ball and put pressure on the Seahawks in the second half, but were unable to score. York more than doubled St. Mary's in the shot department at 19-8, and led 8-6 in shots on goal, but couldn't find one.
Natalie McCarthy: 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Caitlin Rankin: 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Emily Munkittrick: 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
Maxine Herman: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Alex Moody: 2 goals, 3 shots, 3 shots on goal
Emily Huey: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 90 minutes played, 2 goals against, 4 saves (L, 4-9-2)
Sydney Larkin (SMC): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 8 saves (W, 4-6-3)
The Spartans are now 9-14-3 all-time against St. Mary's … York had previously won the last two meetings with the Seahawks before Wednesday … the Spartans were eliminated from CAC playoff contention, for the first time in school history … York has reached CAC playoffs in every season since the program's inception, in 1996 … the graduating senior class were sophomores when York enjoyed a Cinderella run to a CAC championship as the sixth seed … the class concluded their careers with a 29-37-6 record, including a 17-17-2 CAC record … junior Caitlin Rankin who put two shots on goal, finished the season with a team-high six goals and 14 points … Jess Wieber finished the season with a 1.36 goals against average, while turning away 77.4% of shots on goal … play was halted in the 40th minute when a dog ran on to the field to join the action.