YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team defended home turf for the second consecutive Capital Athletic Conference contest, taking down Southern Virginia University 2-0 at Graham Field on Saturday afternoon. The shutout was the Spartans' fourth of the season and second in a row. Both goal scorers, Amanda Healy and Georgia Gillcrist, tallied their first goals of the season.
Records: York 4-9-2 (3-4-1 CAC), SVU 6-8-2 (3-4-1 CAC)
Shots: York 11, SVU 8
Shots on goal: York 6, SVU 1
Corner kicks: York 4, SVU 1
Saves: York 1, SVU 4
Fouls: York 14, SVU 2
How It Happened
• The Spartans, fresh off their 4-0 home triumph over Wesley, eased into the opening minutes as both teams were getting a feel of the game.
• Neither team really earned a solid scoring opportunity before the first goal came. After a failed cross, the ball bounced to Amanda Healy, who hit it on her first touch with her left foot. The strike sailed over the goalie and into the top left side of the net. The 25th minute goal was the difference in the first half, pushing York ahead 1-0 at the halftime break.
• The major factor in the first half on the stat sheet was the shots on goal. The Spartans managed to put all five shots on target, while Southern Virginia didn't put a single one of their six shots on goal.
• Early in the second half, Caitlin Rankin, York's leading scorer, broke free down the left side, but her shot bounced off the far post and out of play.
• There wasn't much happening on the offensive side for either team, with both defenses bunkering down. But, in the 78th minute, Taylor Laine played Georgia Gillcrist through, and the sophomore just touched it past the Knight keeper and into the back of the net, doubling York's advantage.
• That's all the Spartans needed to secure their second consecutive Capital Athletic Conference victory at Graham Field.
Amanda Healy: 1 goal, 1 shot
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 goal, 1 shot
Taylor Laine: 1 assist
Natalie McCarthy: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Maxine Herman: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
McCall Jensen: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 90 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save (W, 4-9-2)
Merideth Ouellette (SVU): 90 minutes played, 2 goals against, 4 saves (L, 6-8-2)
The Spartans are now 5-0 all-time against Southern Virginia … Georgia Gillcrist and Amanda Healy each tallied their first goals of the season … the goal was Healy's first of her career, after being honored before the game on the Spartans' Senior Day … it was Gillcrist's third of her career … the shutout was Jess Wieber's fourth of the season, dropping her goals against average to 1.31 … the two-game win streak is York's first of the season, as they are starting to get hot at the right time.
York travels to St. Mary's (Md.) on Wednesday. The Spartans are 9-13-2 all-time against the Seahawks, but have taken the last two meetings. Kick off is set for 3:30 p.m.