FROSTBURG, MD – The York College women's soccer team dropped a 4-1 road decision at Frostburg State University on a foggy Wednesday night in Frostburg, Maryland.
Records: York 2-8-2 (1-3-1 CAC), FSU 4-7-2 (3-1-1 CAC)
Shots: York 7, FSU 16
Shots on Goal: York 5, FSU 10
Corner Kicks: York 2, FSU 4
Saves: York 6, FSU 4
Fouls: York 13, FSU 8
How It Happened:
• The Bobcats were all over the Spartans from the start. Frostburg scored on their first shot as Brooke Shehade hit a left footed chip over the head of Spartan goalie Jess Wieber just 2:08 into the game for the 1-0 Bobcat lead.
• Frostburg quickly made it 2-0 as Shehade took a shot that Wieber saved. However, the rebound came right to the foot of Danielle Ferris who blasted home the shot in the game's sixth minute.
• The Bobcats completed the first half onslaught with a goal from Jesse Dunagan. Hailey Turney launched a long pass from the wing that Dunagan finished in the 36th minute for the 3-0 lead.
• The Bobcats dominated the opening 45 minutes as they outshot the Spartans 11-2 including 8-2 in shots on goal.
• York showed some life in the opening stages of the second half as Caitlin Rankin laced a nice cross across the goal mouth and freshman Emily Munkittrick finished off the chance for her first collegiate goal just 2:54 into the second half.
• The two teams would maintain possession in the middle of the field for most of the rest of the second half. The Bobcats would close out the scoring with a breakaway goal from Shehade in the 84th minute of play.
Emily Munkittrick: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Caitlin Rankin: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal
Noelle Spinosa: 1 shot on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 1 shot on goal
Alyssa Rankin: 1 shot on goal
Frostburg State Leaders
Brooke Shehade: 2 goals, 5 shots, 3 shots on goal
Danielle Ferris: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal
Jesse Dunagan: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Hailey Turney: 1 assist
Jess Wieber (YCP): 45:00 minutes played, 3 goals against, 5 saves (Loss, 2-7-2)
Sydney Kahn: 45:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 1 save
Emily Faust (FSU): 70:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 4 saves (Win)
The Bobcats now hold a 7-3-1 advantage in the all-time series as Frostburg State has won two straight in the series … the Spartans fall to 0-2-1 in the month of October after going 2-6-1 in September … York has four Capital Athletic Conference games remaining with two being on the road and two coming at Graham Field … York has scored just three goals in their eight losses … York is now 1-4-1 on the road … York has now lost three games by three goals during the campaign.
The Spartans travel to Salisbury University to face the Sea Gulls on Sunday, October 15. Game time in Salisbury, Maryland is set for 1:00 pm.