YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team battled to a 1-1 draw with the University of Mary Washington on Saturday at Graham Field in Capital Athletic Conference. Natalie McCarthy buried a free kick early in the second half to put the Spartans in front, but the Eagles responded just five minutes later. It was the third game of the season that the Green and White played into double overtime.
Records: York 2-7-2 (1-2-1 CAC), Mary Washington 5-7-1 (1-2-1 CAC)
Shots: York 8, Mary Washington 16
Shots on goal: York 3, Mary Washington 11
Corner kicks: York 8, Mary Washington 3
Saves: York 10, Mary Washington 2
Fouls: York 15, Mary Washington 15
How It Happened:
• York maintained the lion's share of possession throughout much of the first half, and that led to the better of the chances. Just seven combined shots were taken in the first 45 minutes, with York taking four of them, and putting two on target. Mary Washington managed three shots and one of goal.
• In the 11th minute, Natalie McCarthy blasted a free kick on goal, but Haley Randall, the Eagles' goalie, managed to knock it away with traffic in front of her.
• One of York's best chances came in the 21st minute when Maxine Herman got on the end of a pass inside the box, but her shot ricocheted off the crossbar. That wasn't the only time the Spartans would connect with the woodwork, though. Just before halftime, with 10 seconds left, Allyson Badman whipped in a corner kick that found Alexis Munshower's head. The center back's attempt clipped the top of the crossbar just before the buzzer sounded.
• Just over 11 minutes into the second half, York converted. After a foul was called, McCarthy stepped up to a free kick and fired one into the upper left portion of the net. The goal was McCarthy's second of the season, and pushed the Spartans ahead 1-0 in the 57th minute.
• The lead was short lived, however, as the Eagles answered in the 62nd minute. Mary Washington had a two-on-one, but Jess Wieber came out and made a big save. The rebound, though, landed at Brooke Bauman, who volleyed the ball into the side netting.
• Both teams defended well for the time remaining in the second half, forcing the game into overtime. Neither team could find the game winner in either 10-minute period, settling for a 1-1 draw.
Natalie McCarthy: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Skyler Wilt: 1 shot on goal
Brooke Bauman: 1 goal, 6 shots, 5 shots on goal
Erica Ganthner: 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
Lizzie Brooks: 3 shots, 1 shots on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 110 minutes played, 1 goal against, 10 saves (T, 2-6-2)
Haley Randall (MW): 110 minutes played, 1 goal against, 2 saves (T, 3-5-1)
The Spartans are now 10-18-5 all-time against Mary Washington … York has dropped the previous two meetings with the Eagles before the draw … it was the third game that York has gone into double overtime, and second in a row … Jess Wieber tallied a career-high 10 saves, topping her nine saves against Christopher Newport earlier this season … Wieber now has a 1.37 goals against average in 13 games with a .797 save percentage … Natalie McCarthy scored her second goal of the season, and now has three career goals.
York travels to Frostburg St. on Wednesday to take on another Capital Athletic Conference foe at 6 p.m. The Spartans are 3-6-1 all-time against the Bobcats after dropping last year's matchup.