HARRISBURG, PA - The York College women's soccer team suffered a heartbreaking defeat 1-0 in double overtime to PSU Harrisburg on the road in Capital Athletic Conference action on Tuesday. It was an even contest, with each team recording 11 shots, but the Spartans, who netted four on Saturday in a win over Marymount, couldn't find their goal.
Records: York 2-7-1 (1-2 CAC), PSU Harrisburg 9-3 (2-1 CAC)
Shots: York 11, PSU Harrisburg 11
Shots on goal: York 3, PSU Harrisburg 6
Corner kicks: York 2, PSU Harrisburg 5
Saves: York 5, PSU Harrisburg 3
Fouls: York 6, PSU Harrisburg 12
How It Happened
• The Spartans, fresh off their four-goal performance on Saturday, had the first chance of the game, just eight minutes in. Skyler Wilt broke free on the left side, but her shot soared just too high.
• York had another flurry of chances as the clock ticked to just 10 minutes remaining in the first half. Maxine Herman let loose a shot in the 34th minute that was saved and then Molly Cripe had another in the 35th minute that missed wide. The Green and White's first corner came in the 38th minute, but still the score remained deadlocked at 0-0.
• The first half was a slow one, offensively, with just seven total shots recorded and three of them on goal. York did, however, have the lion's share, taking five of the seven total shots, and placing two on goal.
• Maybe the best chance for PSU Harrisburg came in the 53rd minute when Erica Hile hit the crossbar from long range. This led to a quick counter, though, for the Spartans, but Herman's shot was blocked, forcing a corner. After the corner was whipped in, the ball bounced around for a bit before a long range effort went wayward.
• Herman and Lily Streaker were able to tally shots just before the end of regulation, but without a goal.
• A corner early in the second overtime created an opportunity for the Spartans. Caitlin Rankin lofted one into the box where the ball stayed for a few seconds, with both teams failing to get solid contact on it.
• Just a minute after York's chance, the Lions broke through. After a York foul, PSU Harrisburg's Bailey Smith broke the scoreless tie in the 102nd minute.
Caitlin Rankin: 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
Maxine Herman: 4 shots, 1 shot on goal
Bailey Smith: 1 goal, 1 shot
Madison Hemler: 1 assist
Kristen Stark: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 101:48 minutes played, 1 goal against, 5 saves (L, 2-7-1)
Kayla Arnold (PSU): 101:48 minutes played, 0 goals against, 3 saves (W, 5-2)
The Spartans fall to 4-2 all-time against PSU Harrisburg … York has lost the last two meetings with the Lions now … the loss was the sixth time in 10 games that the Spartans failed to score a goal … in 10 games, York has just 10 goals, with eight of them coming in two games … Jess Wieber has allowed just 12 goals in 10 starts, boasting a 1.45 goals against average and .774 save percentage, and one shutout … Caitlin Rankin was held scoreless for the first time in two games, having notched a goal against Marymount (Va.) and Elizabethtown.
On Saturday, York will host Mary Washington at Graham Field at 12:30 p.m in a Capital Athletic Conference matchup. The Eagles hold the all-time series lead as the Spartans are just 10-18-4, having lost the last two meetings.