YORK, PA – The York College women's soccer team was defeated at home Wednesday night, falling to Elizabethtown College 2-1 in non-conference action. The Spartans outshot the Blue Jays 11 to 8 though York was only able to convert one of those opportunities into a goal.
Records: York 1-6-1, Elizabethtown 5-2-1
Shots: York 11, Elizabethtown 8
Shots on Goal: York 7, Elizabethtown 3
Corner Kicks: York 5, Elizabethtown 6
Saves: York 1, Elizabethtown 6
Fouls: York 3, Elizabethtown 9
How It Happened:
• York made their game readiness and offensive presence clear from the first whistle as the Spartans coasted down onto the attacking end of the field, waking up Elizabethtown defenders. The drive resulted in a corner kick by Caitlin Rankin, just 24 seconds into the game though the ball was unable to find the back of the net on this first attempt.
• The Blue Jays would jump on the Spartans in these fast-paced, early minutes of the game as it was nearing six minutes into the contest that Lydia Lawson tracked the ball off a crossbar deflection to finish her chance, putting Elizabethtown ahead early, 1-0.
• A seemingly back-and-forth match ensued, as each team took their turn to battle for the next goal. It was in the 25th minute of the game that Shannon Conlon increased the Blue Jays lead, 2-0.
• Elizabethtown managed three more shots in the first half as the Spartan defensive unit was able to withstand the pressure, entering the locker room at halftime down, 2-0.
• Alyssa Rankin put the Blue Jays on their heels to start the second half, firing off a shot in the first minute, though was unable to convert.
• York continued to put pressure on Elizabethtown goalie Hailey Parks, peppering the goal with five shots in the first fifteen minutes of the half, as the Blue Jay's looks became limited.
• Caitlin Rankin brought the game within one with a beautiful shot toward the top left corner of the goal, out of the keeper's reach with just under 10 minutes remaining in the game.
• The Blue Jays closed out the game in clearing the ball downfield with just under 15 seconds remaining in the second half, a time too little for the Spartans to work with as the Spartans dropped their second straight one goal decision.
Caitlin Rankin: 1 goal, 4 shots, 2 shots on goal
Maxine Herman: 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Natalie McCarthy: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Alyssa Rankin: 1 shot on goal
Blue Jay Leaders
Shannon Conlon: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Lydia Lawson: 1 goal, 2 shots
Maria Boretti: 1 shot
Alli Lasky: 1 shot
Alex Jacobs: 1 shot
Jess Wieber (YCP): 45:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 0 saves (Loss, 1-6-1)
Sydney Kahn (YCP): 45:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save
Hailey Parks (ETown): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 6 saves (Win, 5-2)
The Spartans fall to 3-7-3 all-time against Elizabethtown… the game was the third time this season that York has registered double figures in shots …junior Caitlin Rankin now leads the team in goals this season with three … York has outscored their last four opponents 5-3 but are only 1-2-1 during that stretch.
The Spartans will travel to Virginia on Saturday to face Marymount in their second conference match of the season. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m. York is 22-2 all-time against the Saints, and has won the last 14 contests between the two clubs.
Game story by Hayley McCormick – Athletic Communications Practicum Student