YORK, PA. – The York College women's soccer team used three second-half goals to overpower Juniata College 4-0 in non-conference action at Graham Field on Wednesday. Sisters Alyssa and Caitlin Rankin joined Maxine Herman, who netted a brace, with goals for the Spartans' first victory of the season.
Records: York 1-4-1, Juniata 4-3
Shots: York 14, Juniata 5
Shots on goal: York 9, Juniata 3
Corner kicks: York 7, Juniata 4
Saves: York 3, Juniata 5
Fouls: York 8, Juniata 2
How It Happened:
• The Spartans started strong, creating early chances, but couldn't find the back of the net. At one point, just two minutes into the game, York let loose a flurry of chances but could not find the breakthrough. It was coming, however, as Alyssa Rankin took a pass from Maxine Herman, made one defender miss, and then as the goalie came rushing out, calmly slotted the ball under her, taking a 1-0 lead for the Spartans.
• The chances would continue, too. Rankin had an opportunity to double the lead but her shot blasted off the underside of the cross bar, falling to her sister Caitlin Rankin, but she wasn't able to wrap her leg around the rebound.
• The Green and White outshot Juniata 8-2 in the first 45 minutes, and held the Eagles about 39 minutes without a shot through the middle of the opening half.
• York exploded in the second half offensively, and it started early with a goal from Herman, her first of the season. Noelle Spinosa, from midfield, played Herman in behind before the senior battled with a defender, then placed it just inside the far post, doubling the Green and White lead.
• Just over six minutes later, Herman added to her full stat sheet, pouncing on a loose ball before floating one over the outstretched goalie and just under the crossbar.
• Juniata had a corner kick in the 65th minute, but York defended it well and sprung Georgia Gillcrist and Caitlin Rankin loose on a counter attack. Gillcrist outran a defender, forcing another one into a two-on-one situation. Just as the defender put pressure on her, she found Rankin who put the finishing touches on the goal. York led 4-0 behind two goals from Herman and a goal from each Rankin sister.
Maxine Herman: 2 goals, 1 assist, 6 shots, 4 shots on goal
Alyssa Rankin: 1 goal, 3 shots, 2 shots on goal
Caitlin Rankin: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
Georgia Gillcrist: 1 assist
Noelle Spinosa: 1 assist
Wynter Adams: 1 shot on goal
Anna Kauffman: 1 shot on goal
Autumn Adams: 1 shot on goal
Jess Wieber (York): 70:21 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves (W, 1-4-1)
Sydney Kahn (York): 19:39 minutes played, 0 goals against, 1 save
Kerry Leonard (JC): 45 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (L, 3-2)
Shannon Kriz (JC): 45 minutes played, 3 goals against, 2 saves
York is now 5-0-1 all-time against the Eagles … last year, the two tied 1-1 … four goals marks the most goals in a game this season … York entered the game with just one goal … Maxine Herman notched five points on the day, and now leads the team … Herman now has 40 points in her career … Alyssa Rankin scored her first goal of the season … Caitlin Rankin scored her second goal of the year, and now has four points … the shutout was the second in two games for the Spartan defense and goalkeepers.
The Spartans will host Christopher Newport University on Saturday for the second leg of the three-game home stand. York is 0-4-1 all-time against CNU, having lost the last three matchups.