HAVERFORD, PA – The York College Spartan women's soccer team dropped their second game of opening weekend as the Haverford Fords edged the Spartans 2-1 in the consolation game of the Haverford Kick Off Classic.
Records: York 0-2, Haverford 1-1
Shots: York 4, Haverford 17
Shots on Goal: York 2, Haverford 8
Corner Kicks: York 1, Haverford 3
Saves: York 6, Haverford 1
How It Happened
• The Fords found the mark early as Saede Eifring ripped a shot from 30 yards out that made it into the back of the net for a 1-0 Haverford lead just 7:45 into the game. The goal was Eifring's second of the year.
• The Spartans battled back and managed to fire off a pair of shots in the ensuing six minutes but Haverford responded with six straight shots as they maintained the pressure on the Spartan offense.
• The Fords got a corner kick in the 25th minute and converted the chance. Sydney West fed a kick into the box and Katie Safter flicked home a header for the 2-0 Haverford lead.
• Haverford controlled the play in the first half as they outshot York 10-3 in the opening 45 minutes of play.
• York got on the board 15 minutes into the second half as Caitlin Rankin collected a loose ball in the box and put home the chance for the Spartans' first goal of the year. The goal came in the 61st minute of the game.
• Rankin's goal would prove to be York's only shot of the second half. The Spartans had a corner kick in the 86th minute but wouldn't be able to convert the opportunity as they fell to 0-2 for the young season.
• Caitlin Rankin: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Alyssa Rankin: 1 shot on goal
• Saede Eifrig: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal
• Katie Safter: 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Anna Dekle: 5 shots, 4 shots on goal
Jess Wieber (YCP): 90:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 6 saves (Loss, 0-2)
Julie Hanss (HC): 90:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 1 save (Win, 1-1)
York is now 0-1-1 against Haverford with the other match coming on September 27, 2014 (a 1-1 tie in York) … Junior Caitlin Rankin's goal was the first for the Spartans in 2017 and it came in their 150th minute of play … The Spartans managed just four shots and that is the second time in their last three games they have had just four shots in a game (@ Mary Washington – Oct. 29, 2016) … this is the seventh time in 22 years that the Spartans have started the season 0-2 … freshman netminder Jess Wieber tied her career high with six saves as she now has 12 in 135 minutes of action.
York returns to action on Thursday, September 7 when they travel to McDaniel to face the Green Terror in a non-conference contest. The match is set for a 4:00 pm start.