HAVERFORD, PA – The York College women's soccer team faced a tall task in their season opener as they fell to #12 College of New Jersey 3-0 in the opening round of the Haverford Kick Off Classic in Haverford, PA on a rainy Saturday.
Records: York 0-1 / #12 TCNJ 1-0
Shots: York 6 / TCNJ 31
Shots on Goal: York 2 / TCNJ 11
Corner Kicks: York 1 / TCNJ 7
Saves: York 8 / TCNJ 2
How it Happened
• The Lions controlled the temp of the game early on as they fired off the first five shots of the game as the Spartans' freshman keeper Jess Wieber was tested early and often.
• York finally fired off a shot in the 25th minute as Caitlin Rankin hit the crossbar with York's first shot.
• The Lions finally broke into the scoring column when Hannah Richman collected a Spartan turnover inside the box and buried a shot from inside the 18 to give TCNJ the 1-0 lead in the 36th minute of play.
• The Lions would continue to pressure the Spartan defense and Wieber would stand tall as she recorded three saves in the final ten minutes of the half. TCNJ outshot the Spartans 15-3 in the first half.
• The second half would be much of the same for York as the Lions continued to spend too much time in the Spartans' defensive third of the field. The Lions fired off the first five shots of the half before York could counter and register their first shot on goal courtesy of Amanda Healy in the 56th minute.
• The Lions made it 2-0 off a corner kick in the 71st minute. Faith Eichenour booted home a ball that banged out to her just outside the box. She one-timed a shot that eluded Spartan goalie Sydney Kahn for the 2-0 lead.
• The Lions closed out the scoring with a goal with 22 seconds left in regulation as Gianna Zarra hit a cross into the box that found the foot of Julia Obst for the goal.
• Caitlin Rankin: 3 shots
• Natalie McCarthy: 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Amanda Healy: 1 shot on goal
• Hannah Richman: 1 goal, 5 shots, 3 shots on goal
• Faith Eichenour: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Julia Obst: 1 goal, 3 shots, 1 shot on goal
• Gianna Zarra: 1 assist
• Kayla Bertolino: 4 shots, 3 shots on goal
Jess Wieber (YCP): 45:00 minutes played, 1 goal against, 6 saves (Loss, 0-1)
Sydney Kahn (YCP): 45:00 minutes played, 2 goals against, 2 saves
Nicole DePaquale (TCNJ): 90:00 minutes played, 0 goals against, 2 saves (Win, 1-0)
York is now 11-8-3 all-time in season openers under head coach Vicki Sterner … Sterner is now in her 22nd season at the helm of the Spartans and is 219-152-34 as the only coach in the history of the Spartan program … Jess Wieber is the sixth Spartan freshman goalie to start a season opener and she is the first to suffer the loss as the group of Amanda Lomberg, Caitlin McCracken, Bridget Feely and Brittany Cullison had all started the opener of their freshmen year (4-1-1) … the Spartan offense was shutout for the eighth time since the start of the 2016 season.
The Spartans face off against Haverford in the consolation game of the tournament. The Spartans and Fords will kick off at 4:00 pm.