GLASSBORO, N.J. – The York College women's soccer team opened their 2016 season with a 2-0 win over Fredonia in the opening round of the Rowan Prof Soccer Classic in Glassboro, N.J. on Friday evening. The opening game is the 21st in the history of the York College Spartan women's program.
Records: York (1-0), Fredonia (0-1)
Shots: York 24 / Fredonia 5
Shots on Goal: York 11 / Fredonia 4
Corner Kicks: York 4 / Fredonia 2
Saves: York 4 / Fredonia 9
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a quick start as they fired off the first five shots of the game.
• York broke into the scoring column on shot number six as Georgia Gillcrist (Westminster, Md./Westminster) hit a beautiful cross to fellow freshman Sara Guzman (Browns Mills, N.J./Seneca) who finished off the chance for the game's opening goal. Guzman's goal came in the 22nd minute of the game.
• York struck again a mere seven minutes later as Caitlin Rankin (Joppa, Md./Edgewood) fired off a shot from inside the box into the upper 90, giving York the 2-0 lead.
• The Spartans fired off three more shots in the first 45 minutes but settled for the 2-0 halftime lead.
• York carried the play in the second half as they outshot the Blue Devils 14-4 but Fredonia goalie Kendall Owczarzak recorded six second half stops.
• Freshman Brittany Cullison (Swedesboro, N.J./Gloucester County Tech) got the start in goal and she responded with a clean 45 minutes in the first half to earn the win. She made one save in her collegiate debut. Sophomore Emily Faust (Chambersburg, Pa./Chambersburg) played the second half and made three stops to preserve the Spartan clean sheet.
Sara Guzman – 1 goal, 2 shots, 1 shot on goal
Caitlin Rankin – 1 goal, 7 shots, 3 shots on goal
Georgia Gilcrist – 1 assist, 1 shot
Alyssa Rankin – 3 shots
Abby Price – 2 shots, 2 shots on goal
Maria Gordon – 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
Olivia Coccitto – 1 shot, 1 shot on goal
Brittany Cullison (YCP): 45 minutes, 0 goals against, 1 save (Win, 1-0)
Emily Faust (YCP): 45 minutes, 0 goals against, 3 saves
Kendall Owczarzak (Fred): 90 minutes, 2 goals against, 9 saves (Loss, 0-1)
The Spartans are now 11-7-3 all-time in season openers under Vicki Sterner … Sterner begins her 21st season at the helm of the Spartans as she is now 212-142-33 all-time as she is the only women's soccer coach the program has ever had … The Spartans have won nine season openers via the shutout … Brittany Cullison became the fifth Spartan freshman to be in net for a season opener for York and the first since Kristy Catelli pitched a 6-0 shutout in the September 1, 2007 win over Widener at Bridgewater (Va.) … Amanda Lomberg, Caitlin McCracken and Bridget Feely join Cullison and Catelli as Spartan goalies who made opening day starts as freshmen … The five freshmen goalies have a record of 4-0-1 in their starts … all four of the wins came via the shutout … Lomberg made the most saves with 11 in her 1-1 tie against Rutgers-Camden on August 30, 2003 …. Caitlin Rankin found the back of the net for the fourth time in her career as she now has 10 points in 21 career games for York … Sara Guzman scored her first career goal on her first career shot for the Spartans … York is now 3-3 in their last six season openers … The Spartans were picked to finish fifth in the Capital Athletic Conference preseason poll despite being the defending conference champions.
The Spartans continue their stay in Glassboro, N.J. as they will face Emmanuel in the second round of the classic tournament. Kick off is slated for 5:00 pm. Live stats and video will be available via the Rowan University athletics home page. Link Here