Spartans Survive and Advance in CAC Tournament Opener

Spartans Survive and Advance in CAC Tournament Opener

YORK, PA – The York College women’s soccer squad earned a 3-2 win over Wesley College in the opening round of the Capital Athletic Conference tournament. The Spartans, the tournament’s third seed, now advance to face second-seeded Stevenson University in Wednesday’s semifinals in Owings Mills, Md.

York improves to 14-4-1 overall while the Wolverines conclude their campaign with a mark of 7-11.

The two squads opened the game with a flurry of back and forth action over the opening 10 minutes of the match. Towards the end of that segment, the Spartans began to pressure Wesley goalie Sydney Kahan. Freshman Kat Sipes (Baltimore, Md./Institute of Notre Dame) hit a header that Kahan saved but 11 seconds later Erin Mummert (Spring Grove, Pa./Spring Grove) captured a loose ball in the box and poked it between a charging Kahan and the right post, giving York the 1-0 lead, 12:34 into the game. The goal was Mummert’s third of the season.

The Spartans continued to apply the pressure on the Wolverine defense but Kahan recorded five first-half saves to keep the Wesley deficit at one heading to the half.

The second half began with a quick Spartan goal. Mummert had a throw in on the right sideline. With her flip throw, she got the ball deep into the box where it bounced around like a pin ball until it found its way to the goal line. That's where Kat Torode (Brick, N.J./Brick Township) had a right-place-right-time goal as she poked the ball home inside the left post. The goal was Torode’s team-leading eighth goal of the year and came just 1:19 into the second half.

The Spartans added what turned out to be a very important insurance goal in the 71st minute as senior Meghan Rowland (Glen Burnie, Md./Archbishop Spalding) tallied her fourth goal of the year. Carly Bock (Baltimore, Md./Catonsville) played the ball into the box from the right wing where Brittany Nechay (Belvidere, N.J./Belvidere) hit a deft pass to Rowland who blasted the ball at Kahan. Kahan looked like she was going to stop of the ball but the sphere squirted from her hands across the goal line for the Spartans’ third tally of the game.

After the third goal, the Spartans appeared to relax as the Wolverines really began taking the play to the hosts. Wesley spoiled the shutout with 13:55 remaining in the game as Sammi Nevin captured a loose ball along the right wing. She carried the ball inside the box before unleashing a bullet into the top shelf that allowed the Wolverines to get on the board.

Wesley continued to pressure the hosts and they got a second goal as Meghan Aiello stole a loose ball in the box in front of two Spartan defenders, wheeled around and buried a shot into the back of the net with 25 seconds left in regulation.

The Spartans booted the kickoff deep and were able to kill of the remainder of the game for the win.

The Spartans outshot the guests 25-15 including 13-7 in shots on goal. The Wolverines held a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.

Junior Desiree Halaka (Southampton, N.Y./Southampton) played the first 74:30, recording four saves and not allowing a goal to earn the win. Katie Meehan (Rising Sun, Md./Rising Sun) played the final 15:30 and surrendered Wesley’s two goals.

Kahan made 10 saves in the loss for Wesley.

The Spartans are now headed to Stevenson where the Mustangs handed the Spartans a 4-1 loss just 12 days ago. Game time is tentatively set for 2:00 pm.


Photos courtesy of Steve Doemland (