ELIZABETHTOWN, PA – The seventh ranked York College wrestling squad opened their dual meet campaign in impressive fashion as the Spartans rolled past Elizabethtown 42-0 in non-conference action on Wednesday evening in Elizabethtown, PA.
The win gains the Spartans a level of revenge after the Blue Jays pulled a 22-19 upset over the Spartans last winter when York was ranked 14th in the country. York is now 1-0 while the Blue Jays fall to 0-1. The win comes on the tail of York capturing the tournament title of the Monarch Invitational this past weekend at Kings College.
Top Spartan Performers
• The Spartans got off to a slow start at 125 as freshman Jared Kuhns fell behind early in his match against Elizabethtown's Austin Jones. Jones held a 6-2 lead after the first period. Kuhns got an escape in a low scoring second period as he trailed 6-3. The third period was packed with action as Jones carried a 7-6 lead into the final minute. Kuhns responded by getting a feet to back four point move in the final five seconds of the match as he earned a 12-8 win to get the Spartans on the board.
• Freshman Michael Rubin was up next for the Spartans at 133 pounds. Rubin led 3-1 after two periods of action. However, Elizabethtown's Josh McLaughlin tied the match at four late in the third period. Rubin got a take down late in the third plus riding time to take a 7-4 win.
• Freshman Blake Shalbert looked like he was in big trouble after two sets as he trailed Colton Rex 5-1 through five minutes of action. Shalbert battled back with a huge third period as he outscored Red 6-1 to pull out a dramatic 7-6 win.
• Senior Greg Warner was up next at 149 pounds and he made quick work of Elizabethtown's Cole Cameron. Warner took Cameron down in the opening 20 seconds of the match and went to work after that. Warner accumulated 16 points in the opening 2:45 of the match to earn the tech fall, putting York up 14-0 through four bouts.
• Sophomore Eric Hutchinson put together a clinical win at 157 as he bested the Blue Jays' Kyle Bythell 15-6 for a major decision. Hutchinson was up 10-2 after the first period and led 12-4 after two. He finished up with the nine-point win as the York lead grew to 18-0.
• Sophomore Jesse Rocco got the fireworks going at 165 as he pinned Colton Shriner in a mere 1:03 of the match. Rocco's impressive win pushed the York lead to 24-0. It started a run of three straight pins for York.
• Senior Joe Sindoni kept the Spartan train rolling with a victory via a fall as he put Hunter Beaudet on his back in a time of 2:32, ballooning the York lead to 30-0.
• Senior Frankie Krauss closed out the run of Spartan pins as he won his match against Dayne Ross in 2:14, pushing the York lead to 36-0.
• Senior Hasan Alic found himself in a close match against Nick Savin at 197 pounds. The two were tied at 2-2 after the first period. Alic took a 4-2 lead after two periods of action. Alic pulled away for a 7-2 win as he accumulated a dominating 3:37 of riding time in the match.
• Sophomore Joe Soreco and Elizabethtown's Max Rhoden had a scoreless first period in the heavyweight battle. Soreco got an escape in the second period and Rhoden tied the match with an escape early in the third. Soreco got a take down with just under a minute left to earn the 3-1 win, completing the Spartan shutout and the 42-0 win.
York is now 6-2 in their last eight meetings against the Blue Jays dating back to the 2011-12 season … York has five nationally ranked wrestlers led by senior Greg Warner who is second in the country at 149 pounds … senior Dylan Nuttall is ranked eighth at 125 followed by Eric Hutchinson ninth at 157, Frankie Krauss ninth at 184 and Hasan Alic sixth at 197 pounds … freshman Jared Kuhns improves to 6-0 with his victory … senior Greg Warner improves to 6-0 with two major decisions, two tech falls and one pin fall win … Warner has outscored his six opponents by a combined score of 62-4 as he has shut his opponent out in five of his six matches … senior Frankie Krauss improves to 6-0 with his pin victory … Krauss now has two pins and a pair of major decisions for the Green and White … senior Hasan Alic is another undefeated Spartans as he is now 6-0.
The Spartans head back on the road on Saturday when they head to Collegeville, PA to participate in the Ursinus Fall Brawl hosted by Ursinus College. The action is slated for a 9:00 am start.