YORK, PA – The York College wrestling squad closed out their regular season with a tight 25-17 win over Gettysburg College in non-conference action from Charles Wolf Gymnasium on Saturday afternoon.
Prior to the match, the Spartans honored their four seniors who were concluding their home careers on Saturday.
With York holding a narrow 19-17 lead heading into the highly anticipated bout at heavyweight, Gettysburg standout Paul Triandafilou suffered a knee injury in a scoreless match in the second period and would be unable to continue as the Spartans secured the team win.
Spartan Winners vs. Gettysburg
125: Brendan McDonough (YCP) maj. dec. Lenny Ogozalek (GC), 11-2
157: Chad Wickard (YCP) dec. Marc Larson (GC), 10-3
174: David Keith (YCP) dec. Austin Roskos (GC), 3-2
184: Frankie Krauss (YCP) win by forfeit
197: Jesse Huber (YCP) dec. Michael Iodice (GC),7-4
285: John Shorter (YCP) dec. Paul Triandafilou (GC), injury default (4:52)
How It Happened
• The Spartans got off to a strong start as Brendan McDonough earned an 11-2 major decision to give the Green and White a 4-0 lead. McDonough had a big third period with a take down and a four-point near fall to secure the bonus points.
• The Bullets answered back quickly as Louie Carusillo notched a win by fall at 133 to give Gettysburg the 6-4 lead. The lead grew to 9-4 as Sean Thompson earned an 8-3 win over Eric Schreck in the 141-pound bout. The Gettysburg train kept rolling at 149 as Colin Devlin earned a 15-0 tech fall allowing the Bullets to pile on the bonus points.
• Senior Chad Wickard stopped the bleeding with a 10-3 win at 157 pounds to get the Spartans to within seven at 14-7. It looked like Wickard would get a major but cut Marc Larson loose with a minute left and wouldn't be able to get another take down to earn the bonus point.
• Gettysburg's Colin Kowalski got those three points right back with a win over Jesse Rocco at 165-pounds. Kowalski to off to a quick 2-0 start and then earned an escape in the second period to take the 4-0 win as the Bullet lead was back at 10, 17-7.
• York got right back into the match as senior David Keith got a late take down in the 174-pound bout to earn a tight 3-2 win over Austin Roskos. Junior Frankie Krauss then got a forfeit win at 184-pounds as the Spartans drew to within one at 17-16.
• Junior Jesse Huber put the Spartans up 19-17 after the 197-pound match as he earned an exciting 7-4 win over Miachel Iodice. Huber got a second period take down and another take down in the third to secure the victory.
• The heavyweight bout was scoreless in the first period and John Shorter was on top to start the second. He had controlled Paul Triandafilou through the opening 52 seconds of the second. Shorter lifted Triandafilou up and in the process of coming down the Bullet heavyweight caught his leg coming down. He would be unable to continue as Shorter was awarded the injury default win.
Prior to the match, the Spartans honored seniors John Shorter, David Keith, Hasan Alic, and Chad Wickard as a part of their senior day ceremonies … York has won 26 straight dual meet matches against Gettysburg as they are now 36-5 all-time against the Bullets … all three of the Spartan seniors who wrestled in the match won their bouts … David Keith picked up his 16th win of the year as he now has 38 career wins for York … the win by John Shorter is his 20th of the year as he is now 98-43 in his Spartan career.
The Spartans head to Ferrum, Virginia on Friday to participate in the two-day Southeast Regional championship hosted by Ferrum College. The action kicks off Friday morning. The regional serves as the ticket to the NCAA championships in early March in Cleveland, Ohio. Check back at www.ycpspartans.com for a full Spartan regional preview.