YORK, PA – The York College wrestling squad earned a 20-16 win over Messiah College in a battle of nationally ranked teams on Friday night in Charles Wolf Gymnasium in York. The Spartans entered the match ranked 15th in the nation while the Falcons are ranked 10th.
Spartan Match Winners
149: Greg Warner (YCP) dec. Stephen Maloney (MC), 8-3
157: Eric Hutchinson (YCP) maj. dec. Dan Swarr (MC), 19-7
174: Joe Sindoni (YCP) dec. Ben Swarr (MC), 10-8
184: Frankie Krauss (YCP) maj. dec. Victor DeFrance (MC), 17-9
285: Stefanos Karpontinis (YCP) dec. Jared Schell (MC), 10-7
125: Dylan Nuttall (YCP) dec. Sean Redington (MC), 11-7
How It Happened
• The Falcons wanted to draw to start the match and the 141-pound class was drawn to start the match. The Falcons jumped out to an early 3-0 win courtesy of a Nick Nunez win at 141 pounds.
• York wasted little time in tying the match as Greg Warner put together a solid 8-3 win at 149. Warner fell behind early but responded with a reversal to tie the match at two heading to the second. An escape and a take down in the second period gave Warner a 5-3 lead. He got another take down followed by a Stephen Maloney escape in the third period plus over two minutes of riding time gave Warner the final five-point margin of victory.
• Freshman Eric Hutchinson followed with a big 19-7 major decision win over Dan Swarr at 157. Hutchinson took an early 4-2 lead in the first period. He followed that with a 5-1 second period to push out to a 9-3 lead. The third period was action packed as Hutchinson notched four take downs to go along with a stalling point against Messiah and riding time to provide for the final 19-7 win.
• Messiah earned a tight 1-0 win at 165 as Jeff Hojnacki edged Jackson Drum, cutting the York lead to 7-6.
• Junior Joe Sindoni picked up the biggest win of the night as he handed second ranked Ben Swarr just his second loss of the year with a dramatic 10-8 win on a reversal in the final 12 seconds of the match to earn the win. Sindoni got off to a great start as he carried a 7-3 lead into the final period. Swarr started the third with an escape and a pair of take down sandwiching a Sindoni escape as the match was tied at eight. Sindoni got the reversal and the large crowd roared with approval as York took a 10-6 lead. Swarr falls to 31-2 with the loss.
• Junior Frankie Krauss followed Sindoni with a 17-9 major decision at 184 pounds. Krauss fell behind early but bounced back to tie Victor DeFrance 5-5 at the end of the first period. Krauss took control of the match by outscoring DeFrance 5-1 in the second to take the 10-6 lead. Krauss recorded three take downs and earned a riding time point to provide for the final score.
• Messiah got a major decision at 197 to cut York's lead to 14-0. The Spartans got a key victory in the heavyweight bout as Stefanos Karpontinis earned a hard-fought 10-7 win. Jared Schell led 4-2 after the first period. Karpontinis got a reversal and a near fall to push out to an 8-4 lead after two periods. Karpontinis got an early take down and was able to survive Schell getting an escape and a take down in the third period to earn the win.
• Junior Dylan Nuttall closed out the win for the Spartans as he notched a back-and-forth 11-7 win over Sean Redington at 125 pounds. Nuttall got the first take down and a two-point near fall before Redington got a reversal to make the score 4-2 after one period. Redington got an escape and a take down before Nuttall got an escape of his own as the match was tied at five through two periods. In the third, Nuttall got a take down followed by a Redington reversal as the match was tied at seven. Nuttall got an escaped to take the lead followed by a take down for the 10-7 lead. Nuttall earned a riding time point and the team victory was secured.
• The Falcons got a pin fall win from Hunter Harris in the final bout of the night to conclude the scoring.
Junior Dylan Nuttall wrestled in just his tenth match of the year as he improves to 7-3 at 125 … junior All-American Greg Warner improves to 25-3 as the win was his 87th career victory … Warner has now won 17 straight matches … freshman Eric Hutchinson continues his strong rookie season as he is now 16-8 overall … the major decision was the first for Hutchinson … junior Joe Sindoni earned his 10th win of the year in the most impressive win of his Spartan career … Sindoni now has 39 career wins for the Green and White … junior Frankie Krauss continues his outstanding campaign as he is now 24-4 for the year as he also has five major decisions … sophomore Stefanos Karpontinis earned his 18th win of the year as his career record improves to 37-15.
The Spartans will take a junior varsity squad to Messiah College tomorrow for the Messiah College Open. The action kicks off at 9:00 am. The Spartans return to action on Saturday, February 17 when they host Gettysburg in the regular season finale. The match is slated for a 12:00 pm start and is preceded by senior day ceremonies.