FROSTBURG, Md. – The 17th-ranked Spartans got back in the win column and evened their Capital Athletic Conference record at 3-3 with a 16-4 win at Frostburg State on Wednesday night.
Game Number: 13
Site: Bobcat Stadium – Frostburg, Md.
Records: York (8-5, 3-3 CAC) / Frostburg (4-7, 0-5 CAC)
Series: York leads 9-2
How it happened:
- York opened up a 3-0 lead within the first nine minutes of play as three different Spartans netted goals.
- York continued to rack up the goals as Kayleigh Phillips and Melissa Meehling combined for the next three as they both had two goals each by the midway point of the first half.
- Katelyn Cattrano and Nicole Clauter became the fourth and fifth different Spartans to score a goal in the first half as the Spartans extended their lead to 9-0 with over seven minutes left to play in the half.
- Caitlin Rankin and Brittany Noell also found the score sheet by the first half's end as York held a 12-0 lead at the break.
- The Bobcats matched York in goals in the second half, 4-4, as Jordan Cassella and Katherine Burk notched their names in the box score with one goal each.
Katelyn Cattrano – 5 points on 2 goals and 3 assists
Melissa Meehling – 3 goals, 2 caused turnovers
Kayleigh Phillips – 3 goals, 4 draw controls
Nicole Clauter – 2 caused turnovers, 3 ground balls
Megan Strauch – 2 caused turnovers, 3 ground balls
Megan Hart – 2 points on 1 goal and 1 assist, 2 draw controls
Molly Hart – 2 points on 1 goal and 1 assist
Samantha Cataldo – 3 caused turnovers
Morgan Cavey – 3 caused turnovers, 2 ground balls
Emani Byrd – 2 ground balls, 2 draw controls
Haley Hines – 2 ground balls
Rachel Donovan (YCP) – 30:00 min, 0 saves, 0 GA, 1 ground ball, Win (5-4)
Dylan Teitelbaum (FSU) – 60:00 min, 12 saves, 16 GA, 1 ground ball, Loss (4-7)
Abby Smith (YCP) – 30:00 min, 2 saves, 4 GA, 1 ground ball
York extends its win streak over Frostburg to nine games … York scored more goals in the first half tonight than they did in total of the last two games combined … seven different Spartans scored in the first half … in total, nine different Spartans scored a goal with 13 recording at least one point … York held Frostburg to just one shot in the first half.
York returns to action on Saturday in a CAC matchup at home against Southern Virginia starting at 12:00 p.m.
Kayleigh Phillps photo courtesy of David Sinclair