HAVERFORD, Pa. – The No. 8 York College women's lacrosse used a strong finish to capture an 8-5 win and prevent a potential upset on the road against Haverford College on Saturday afternoon.
Game Number: 4
Site: Swan Field – Haverford, Pa.
Records: York (3-1) / Haverford (1-1)
Series: York leads 3-0
How it happened:
- Allison Kolacy got the offense rolling less than 10 minutes in the first half as she netted her second goal of the season.
- Katherine Burk built on the early lead as she also notched her second tally the season and gave the Spartans a 2-0 lead midway through the first half.
- The Fords broke up the York scoring run with a goal shortly after Burk's tally to cut the deficit to 2-1
- York then answered back with two straight goals on their next two possessions. The first came courtesy of Megan Strauch who now has two on the season, followed by Kolacy who scored her second of the game.
- The Fords refused to go away without a fight as they scored on a free-position shot with just under 10 minutes to play in the first half and trailed the Spartans 4-2 heading into the break.
- The York man-up unit came out of the gates strong to start the second half with two goals within the first two minutes courtesy of Kayleigh Phillips and Jordan Cassella.
- Haverford managed to slip in a goal between the two man-up Spartan goals and also scored on a free-position shot shortly after Cassella's goal to cut Spartan lead to 6-4.
- Before the midway point of second half, Haverford denied York on an extra-man opportunity and then denied York on a free-position opportunity on the next Spartan possession. Those two stops came up big for the Fords as they scored on the ensuing possession to cut the deficit to 6-5.
- York caught a little break and a much-need goal on the very next possession as the initial shot by Claudia DiVenti was saved, but then she swatted in her own rebound out of mid air and into the goal to go ahead 7-5.
- The Spartans won the next draw following Diventi's goal and capitalized as Kolacy tallied her third goal of the day on a low, wraparound shot from the left wing to go up 8-5 just past the midway point of the second half.
- After taking the 8-5 lead, York managed to kill off the remaining 14:16 as they faced four shots by the Fords, including one on a free-position attempt. Charlotte Wright made two of her three total saves during that final stretch.
Allison Kolacy – 3 goals
Megan Strauch – 6 ground balls
Claudia DiVenti – 4 draw controls
Katherine Burk – 2 caused turnovers
Christina Gould – 2 points on 1 goal and 1 assist
Elyse Adler – 2 goals
Noelle Smith – 3 ground balls, 3 caused turnovers
Isabella Bertagna – 3 ground balls
Madision Jones – 3 ground balls
Charlotte Wright (YCP) – 60:00 min, 3 saves, 5 GA, Win (3-1)
Megan Chenworth (HC) – 60:00 min, 10 saves, 8 GA, Loss (1-1)
York extends their win streak against unranked opponents to 37 games … the Spartans were held to their lowest goal total against an unranked opponent since March 11, 2015 in an 8-7 win at then unranked Messiah … the Spartans recorded their highest ground ball total of the season with 20 and posted their highest clear percentage of the season as they went 14-for-15 (93.3%) … after three goals today, Allison Kolacy now leads the team with eight points on the season … Katherine Burk now has three points through four games this season, matching her season total from last season in which she played in 17 games … Megan Strauch tallied her second goal of the season today, matching her career total from the previous three seasons. The All-American defender has now recorded three of her seven career points this season.
York returns to action on Wednesday in a non-conference contest on the road against Dickinson College at 6:00 p.m.
Megan Strauch photo courtesy of David Sinclair