DAYTONA BEACH, FLA. – The Framingham State Rams used a 25-8 third quarter to pull away from the York College women's basketball squad 73-64 in the opening round of the Land of Magic Classic in Daytona Beach, Florida on Thursday afternoon. The Spartans led 31-25 at the half but the the big third quarter allowed the Rams to pull away in the second half. The loss is the third straight for the Spartans
Records: York 6-4, Framingham St. 5-6
Score: York 64, Framingham St. 73
Field Goals: York 25-for-83, Framingham St. 23-for-55
Field Goal %: York 30.1%, Framingham St. 41.8%
Three Point Field Goals: York 6-for-29, Framingham St. 6-for-14
Three Point FG %: York 20.7%, Framingham St. 42.9%
Free Throws: York 8-for-14, Framingham St. 21-for-26
Free Throw %: York 57.1%, Framingham St. 80.8%
Rebounds: York 46, Framingham St. 49
Assists: York 12, Framingham St. 13
Turnovers: York 14, Framingham St. 24
Blocked Shots: York 1, Framingham St. 8
Steals: York 12, Framingham St. 8
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got off to a good start in their first game in 15 days as the Green and White sprinted out to a 5-0 lead. The Rams answered with a 12-3 run to push out to a 12-8 lead just under six minutes into the game. The Spartans scored six of the final eight points of the period as the two teams were tied at 14 at the end of the first period of play.
• With the game tied at 18, York went on a 13-3 run to push out to a 31-21 lead with 2:46 left in the half. The run was aided by three pointers from Katie Wagner and Beth Wiseley as York appeared to seize control of the game. The Rams answered with four points on 4-of-6 free throw shooting to trim the Spartan lead to six at 31-25 at the break.
• York opened the second half with a Morgan Kuehne jumper to push the lead back to eight and the teams would trade baskets over the next two and a half minutes as York led 37-30 with 7:29 left in the quarter. The Rams then embarked on a 20-2 run over the final 6:33 of the quarter, turning their seven-point deficit into an 11 point (50-39) lead.
• The Green and White cut the Rams' lead to 52-45 on a pair of Wagner free throws with 8:17 left in the game but Framingham State drilled three pointers on back-to-back possessions to push the lead back to 13. The Rams lead would grow to a game-high 15 (64-49) midway through the quarter. York made one last push, cutting the Rams lead to six at 58-64 thanks to a 9-0 run. That would be as close as the Spartans would get as the Rams went to the line ten times, making nine, over the final 1:04 to salt away the win.
• Framingham State went 15-for-18 from the line in the second half including 11-for-14 in the fourth quarter.
Katie Wagner: 14 points, 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals
Sam Mocniak: 12 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 steals
Morgan Kuehne: 11 points, 6 rebounds, 2 steals
Framingham State Leaders
Raegan Mulherin: 24 points, 9 rebounds, 7 steals, 2 assists, 1 blocked shot
Mary Kate O'Day: 19 points, 8 rebounds, 2 blocked shots
Emily Battaini: 16 points, 4 rebounds, 1 steal
Tiphani Harris: 9 rebounds, 2 points, 6 assists, 3 blocked shots
The Spartans meeting with the Rams is the first in program history … York is now 0-3 all-time in the state of Florida … the Spartans last trip to Daytona Beach and the Land of Magic Classic came in December of 2010 when the Spartans fell to Denison and Bethel (Minnesota) in the tournament … the last time York traveled to Daytona Beach, they won the CAC tournament championship … the Spartans' three game losing streak is their longest since the end of the 2015 season when York dropped three against Southern Virginia, Frostburg and Salisbury (Feb. 14, 18, and 21) … the Spartans continue to struggle from three point range as they converted just 20.7% of their attempts from distance in the loss … York has shot under 30% in eight of their ten games … York has shot under 25% from three in three games this year and are 1-2 in those games … York registered 12 steals in the loss, their second-highest total for the year (17 vs. Rowan) … York shot 57.1% (8-for-14) from the stripe and that is the fourth time this year they have shot below 60% from the stripe in a game … the Spartans have made just 42 trips to the line over the last three games, making 26 (61.9%) of those attempts … In the games they have lost, the Spartans are shooting 60% (33-for-55) from the free throw line and 22.4% (17-for-76) from three … in games they have won, York is shooting 69.4% (104-for-149) from the charity stripe and 28.4% (33-for-116) from three … senior Katie Wagner recorded 14 points, good for her seventh double figures performance of the year … senior Sam Mocniak tied her career high with seven rebounds in the game while her 12 points mark the fourth time she has reached double figures for the year … senior Morgan Kuehne notched double figures for the fifth time this year and the first time in four games with her 11 points … junior Katie McGowan had her double figures scoring streak snapped a four games … McGowan has reached double figures in eight of her ten games … York forced 24 Rams turnovers and turned those miscues into 22 points … Framingham held a 26-16 edge in points in the paint while the Rams bench outscored York's 22-15.
The Spartans continue their Daytona Beach trip on Friday evening when they face Clark University in a 9:00 pm contest at the Ocean Center in Daytona Beach. The game will conclude York's non-conference schedule for the year as their remaining 14 games will all be Capital Athletic Conference contests.