ANNVILLE, PA – The York College women's basketball team fought back from multiple double-digit deficits, but could not complete the comeback, falling to Lebanon Valley College 65-60 on the road in non-conference action. Four Spartans scored at least 10 points, and junior forward Katie McGowan notched her first career double-double with 10 points and a career-high 11 rebounds.
York (Pa.): 3-1
Lebanon Valley: 3-2
FG Shooting (%): York 24-for-58 (41.4%), LVC 22-for-56 (39.3%)
Three Point Shooting (%): York 5-for-19 (26.3%), LVC 6-for-18 (33.3%)
Free Throw Shooting (%): York 7-for-13 (53.8%), LVC 15-for-24 (62.5%)
Rebounding: York 31, LVC 44
Assists: York 12, LVC 14
Turnovers: York 13, LVC 18
Blocked Shots: York 5, LVC 2
Steals: York 10, LVC 8
• Sam Mocniak buried an early three pointer to give the Spartans their first lead of the game at 5-3. While both teams were trading leads through the middle portion of the first quarter, point guard Debria Hendricks showed her speed by grabbing a defensive rebound before sprinting down the other end for a transition bucket. After that bucket, though, as the Spartans led 7-6, Emily Mealey scored her first of her game-high 22 points to ignite a 16-0 run for the Dutchmen.
• Katie Wagner stopped the bleeding with just two seconds left in the opening period, trimming the deficit to 13, trailing LVC 22-9 through 10 minutes. York immediately answered that run with one of their own, started by Wagner's layup in the waning seconds of the first quarter, to cut the lead to 24-20 just after the halfway point of the second quarter. Six different Spartans scored during their 13-2 run to get back within four.
• Again, LVC opened their lead, this time to 29-20, but York answered with a three pointer from Morgan Kuehne, assisted by Victoria Varner, and then a steal and layup by Wagner, before Kuehne drilled another three, this time assisted by Mocniak, to get within one to end the half.
• To start the second half, the Spartans leveled the score in the first 30 seconds on a jumper from Mocniak. Once again, they tied it at 32, this time on a Wagner layup. A Katie McGowan free throw finally put the Green and White ahead, at 33-32, its first lead since 7-6. McGowan, who finished with 10 points and 11 rebounds, recorded her first career double-double.
• LVC shook off the Spartans again, pulling out to a six-point lead before York again closed within one. But, Lebanon Valley's Veronica Venezia grabbed an offensive board and converted a layup at the buzzer to put the Dutchmen up 48-42 after three quarters.
• Kuehne and McGowan nailed layups to open the fourth quarter, and again York was within two, at 48-46. But, the Dutchmen put together an 11-3 run to push the York deficit to double digits. Throughout it all, the Spartans wouldn't quit. Mocniak nailed two more three pointers to make it 63-60 with 16 seconds left, but it was too late, falling 65-60 on the road.
Morgan Kuehne: 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 steals
Katie Wagner: 11 points, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 rebound
Sam Mocniak: 11 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds, 1 steal
Katie McGowan: 11 rebounds, 10 points, 3 assists
Emily Mealey: 22 points, 13 rebounds, 2 blocks, 1 steal
Becky Evans: 15 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds, 4 steals
Morgan Bamberger: 14 points, 3 rebounds
The Spartans are now 6-3 all-time against Lebanon Valley … York won 63-53 at home last year … York falls for the first time of the season, falling to 3-1 … it was the first time the Spartans trailed at the half, now 3-1 in those situations … four players finished in double figures for York … Katie McGowan notched her first career double-double … she set a career-high 11 rebounds … McGowan also leads the team in scoring at 12.3 ppg … Katie Wagner also is averaging 12.0 ppg … Wagner set a career high with eight rebounds … Morgan Kuehne went 2-for-3 from three-point land, and is 50% from three on the season … she matched a career high with two made three pointers.
The Spartans stay on the road, heading to Wesley on Wednesday to open their Capital Athletic Conference slate. Tip off is set for 6 p.m.