SALISBURY, MD – The York College softball team forced a winner-take-all game two in the Capital Athletic Conference tournament semifinals on Saturday in Salisbury, Maryland. The Spartans pounded the Sea Gulls 14-0 in the opener but the Sea Gulls scored four runs in the top of the seventh inning to pull out a 9-5 win in the nightcap.
Salisbury advance to the CAC Championship series at Christopher Newport next weekend.
#3 York (Pa.): 26-15-1
#2 Salisbury: 27-11
Score: York 14, SAL 0
Hits: York 14, SAL 1
Errors: York 1, SAL 1
Left on Base: York 8, SAL 2
Doubles: York 4, SAL 0
Triples: York 0, SAL 0
Home Runs: York 3, SAL 0
How It Happened
• The Spartans took away all doubt about the game one result with their performance in the first inning. The Spartans scored seven runs on six hits as the Green and White seized control early. Haley Hirn opened the scoring with an RBI double. Ashley Meekins scored Hirn with an RBI double. The Spartans then loaded the bases and Savannah Galati blasted a grand slam to right, giving York a 6-0 lead. Joanna Marmo doubled to right center for an RBI as York sent hitters to the plate in taking the 7-0 lead.
• Meekins added to the lead in the top of the second with a lead off home run to left center, pushing the York lead to 8-0.
• York added a trio of runs in the third. Savannah Zittle scored on a wild pitch and Meekins plated the next run with an RBI ground out. Ashley Werner added a third run in the inning with an RBI single.
• Zittle hit a solo homer with one out in the fourth as the York led grew to 12-0 through four innings. York closed out the game with two runs in the fifth with a two run double from Zittle as York forced a second game on Saturday.
• Sophomore Ginger Lewis threw her second complete game shutout of the tournament as she limited the high-flying Sea Gull offense to just one hit in five innings. She struck out three and walked one as she earned her 13th win of the year.
Joanna Marmo: 3-for-5, 2 runs scored, RBI, 2B
Ashley Meekins: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, 2B, HR
Shyla Pastore: 3-for-4, 1 run scored
Savannah Galati: 1-for-1, 1 run scored, 4 RBI, 1 Grand Slam
Savannah Zittle: 2-for-2, 3 run scored, 3 RBI, 2B, HR
Sea Gull Leaders
LeAnne Collins: 1-for-2
Cat Ramagnano: 0-for-1, BB
Ginger Lewis: 5.0 IP, 1 hit, 0 earned runs, 1 BB, 3 K (Win, 13-6)
Shannon Powell: 0.2 IP, 6 hits, 7 earned runs, 2 BB (Loss, 12-4)
Alexis Layton: 2.1 IP, 5 hits, 4 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 BB, 1 K
Brea Bishop: 2.0 IP, 3 hits, 3 earned runs, 2 BB, 1 K
Game Two vs. Salisbury
Score: York 5, SAL 9
Hits: York 9, SAL 13
Errors: York 1, SAL 1
Left on Base: York 7, SAL 8
Doubles: York 1, SAL 3
Triples: York 0, SAL 1
Home Runs: York 0, SAL 1
How It Happened
• Salisbury opened the scoring in the top of the second with a LeAnne Collins RBI triple. York answered in the bottom of the frame with a bases loaded, three-run double from Savannah Zittle as York took a 3-1 lead.
• Salisbury tied the game in the top of the third as Annie Pietanza blasted a lead off home run to left center. Maderia Alexander followed with a double to left center. After a fly out and a foul out, Alexander scored on a Spartan error, knotting the game at two.
• The Sea Gulls took a two run lead in the top of the sixth as Pietanza ripped a two-run double to left center, giving Salisbury a 5-3 lead. The Spartans answered with a two run single from Joanna Marmo as the Green and White tied the game heading to the seventh.
• Salisbury loaded the bases in the top of the seventh with a two hits and a walk. Amelia Trotter drew a bases loaded walk to push the Gulls in front 6-5. Cat Ramagnano doubled to left to score a pair as the Gulls pushed out to an 8-5 lead. Collins added an RBI ground out as Salisbury finished the four run inning.
• The Spartans got a pair of base runners on in the bottom of the seventh but wouldn't be able to push either across the plate as the Green and White suffered the tough-to-swallow loss.
Savannah Zittle: 1-for-3, 3 RBI, 2B
Julie Van O'Linda: 3-for-3, 2 runs scored
Shyla Pastore: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored
Joanna Marmo: 1-for-4, 2 RBI
Sea Gull Leaders
LeAnne Collins: 2-for-5, 2 RBI, 3B
Annie Pietanza: 3-for-4, 1 run scored, 3 RBI, 2B, HR
Madeira Alexander: 3-for-3, 2 runs scored, 2B
Cat Ramagnano: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Ginger Lewis: 6.1 IP, 13 hits, 9 runs, 8 earned runs, 3 BB, 2 K (Loss, 13-7)
Samantha Kiser: 0.2 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 K, 0 BB
Rachael Milligan: 7.0 IP, 9 hits, 5 earned runs, 4 BB, 3 K (Win, 10-3)
The Spartans went 1-4 against the Sea Gulls for the year with all five games being played in Salisbury … the Spartans conclude their season with a record of 6-9 on the road … York put together a 12-3 mark in neutral site games for the year … senior Savannah Zittle had a big day as she went 3-for-5 with three runs scored, two doubles, six RBI and a home run … junior Joanna Marmo finished the two games going 4-for-9 with two runs scored, a double and three RBI … the 14 runs in the first game marked the fifth time this year that the Green and White reached double figures in runs … the Spartans blasted three home runs in the opener, tying a season-high … sophomore Ginger Lewis notched her second complete game shutout of the weekend in the opener as she twirled a one-hitter … Lewis now has 25 career wins and 10 career shutouts including six this year.
The Spartans will close out their regular season on Tuesday as they will host Stevenson University in a non-conference twin bill. Game one at Spartan Stadium is set for 3:00 pm.