SALISBURY, MD – The York College softball squad opened the 2018 Capital Athletic Conference tournament with a split on Friday afternoon in Salisbury, Maryland. The Spartans blanked Mary Washington 6-0 in the opener. York then allowed eight runs in the top of the seventh as they fell to Salisbury 12-3 in the nightcap.
#3 York (Pa.): 25-14-1
#5 Mary Washington: 16-23-1
#2 Salisbury: 26-10
Game One vs. Mary Washington
Score: York 6, UMW 0
Hits: York 10, UMW 5
Errors: York 0, UMW 0
Left on Base: York 5, SAL 5
Doubles: York 2, UMW 1
Triples: York 0, UMW 0
Home Runs: York 0, UMW 0
How It Happened
• The Spartans got on the board early as senior Ashley Werner had a two out RBI single, giving the Green and White the early advantage.
• Werner struck again in the third as she ripped an RBI double to right center, scoring Ashley Meekins who had walked earlier in the inning.
• Sophomore Ginger Lewis made those two runs stand up as she was on point in the win. She didn't really face any trouble until the sixth when Mary Washington loaded the bases with two outs. Lewis got a pop out to first to end the threat.
• York blew the game open in the top of the seventh. Joanna Marmo opened the scoring with a double down the left field line to score Savannah Zittle, making it 3-0 York. Meekins made it 4-0 with an RBI single to left. Werner drove in her third run of the game and Meekins would eventually come around to score on a Shyla Pastore infield single as York led 6-0.
Ashley Werner: 3-for-4, 3 RBI
Ashley Meekins: 2-for-2, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI
Haley Hirn: 1-for-3, 2 runs scored
Shyla Pastore: 1-for-3, RBI
Danielle Newman: 2-for-3, 2B
Caroline Callahan: 1-for-4
Rachel Porchie: 1-for-3
Ginger Lewis: 7.0 IP, 5 hits, 0 runs, 10 K, 2 BB (Win, 12-6)
Mary Washington Pitching
Jena Calvitti: 2.1 IP, 5 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 K, 2 BB (Loss, 3-9)
Megan Hibbs: 4.0 IP, 2 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 5 K
Kara Deppe: 0.2 IP, 3 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K
Game Two vs. Salisbury
Score: York 3, SAL 12
Hits: York 7, SAL 15
Errors: York 3, SAL 0
Left on Base: York 7, SAL 4
Doubles: York 2, SAL 3
Triples: York 1, SAL 1
Home Runs: York 1, SAL 0
How It Happened
• Salisbury was the visiting team in game two and the Gulls jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the top of the first. Brea Bishop laced a two-out single to center to score a pair for the Gulls. York answered with a pair of their own in the bottom of the first. Joanna Marmo led off with a home run to left to get York on the board. Later in the inning, Savannah Galati had a sacrifice fly to left, tying the game at two.
• Salisbury added two more in the second with a pair of errors and a sacrifice fly.
• York drew to within one in the fifth as Haley Hirn walked and scored on an Ashley Meekins triple to center. Ashley Werner drew a walk to put runners at the corners but York would be unable to get the equalizer.
• The Spartans got the first two outs of the seventh inning and then the roof caved in on the Green and White. Salisbury banged out nine two-out hits and scored eight runs as they blew a very close game wide open. All nine hits came with two outs.
Haley Hirn: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, 2B
Savannah Galati: 1-for-2, RBI, 2B
Joanna Marmo: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Ashley Meekins: 1-for-3, RBI
Sea Gull Leaders
Brea Bishop: 3-for-4, 2 RBI
Sami Mumford: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI
Annie Pietanza: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2 2B
LeAnne Collins: 2-for-5, 2 runs scored
Dakotah Fraley: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, RBI, 2B
Shyla Pastore: 1.2 IP, 4 hits, 4 runs, 1 earned run (Loss, 0-2)
Samantha Kiser: 5.0 IP, 10 hits, 8 earned runs, 2 K
Melissa Jurkiewicz: 0.1 IP, 1 hit, 1 K
Rachael Milligan: 7.0 IP, 7 hits, 3 earned runs, 3 BB, 0 K (Win, 9-3)
The Spartans swept the season series from Mary Washington with their game one win … York has lost all three games against Salisbury this year but will have a chance to change that on Saturday … sophomore Ginger Lewis picked up her fifth complete game shutout of the year in the win over Mary Washington … the Spartans now have 11 shutouts as a team … York outscored Mary Washington 20-3 in their three meetings for the year.
The Spartans and Sea Gulls will meet again on Saturday at 10:00 am in the fourth game of the pod. If Salisbury wins, the Sea Gulls advance to the championship series next weekend. If York can win the morning game, it will force a winner take all game at 12:00 pm.