YORK, PA – The York College softball squad had a disappointing day on Wednesday at home as the Spartans dropped game one and then tied game two against McDaniel in a lengthy doubleheader in York. The Green Terror won game one 10-9 in nine innings and then forged a 2-2 tie before the game was called due to darkness after seven innings. The twin bill took a combined four hours and 32 minutes.
York (Pa.): 18-9-1
Score: York 9, McDaniel 10
Hits: York 12, McDaniel 8
Errors: York 3, McDaniel 0
Left on Base: York 8, McDaniel 7
Doubles: York 5, McDaniel 2
Triples: York 0, Elizabethtown 0
Home Runs: York 0, McDaniel 1
How It Happened
• The top of the first inning was a rough one for Spartan starter Ginger Lewis as she walked three and a Spartan error allowed McDaniel to score their first run. Lewis then struck out the side to minimize the damage.
• York tied the game in the second on a Shyla Pastore sacrifice fly. McDaniel's Michaela Persinger got that run right back with a line drive home run to right, giving the Green Terror a 2-1 lead. Senior Haley Hirn singled up the middle, tying the game with an RBI single. Hirn eventually came around to score on a wild pitch as the Spartans led 3-2.
• York added to the lead in the fifth as Ashley Werner scored Quinn Fisher with a sacrifice fly to deep center. Madison Bowen then doubled down the left field line, scoring Joanna Marmo as York led 5-2.
• The Green Terror erupted for five runs in the top of the sixth. McDaniel loaded the bases with two outs and a pair of Spartan errors opened the floodgates as the Green Terror scored five unearned runs to take a 7-5 lead.
• Senior Savannah Zittle doubled down the left field to score Julie Van O'Linda who singled one batter earlier. After Zittle moved to third on a wild pitch and came around to score on another wild pitch as York tied the game.
• After both teams had chances in the seventh and eighth, the Green Terror plated three runs to push in front. Persinger had an RBI double to open the ninth inning scoring. Wagner then laced a two-run double to right center, giving the Green Terror a 10-7 lead.
• The Spartans didn't go away easily as York loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the ninth. Hirn ripped a sacrifice fly to right to score Zittle. Joanna Marmo then singled to right to score Meekins as York was down one run with one out. The Spartans had the tying run at third and the winning run at second with one out but couldn't get the big hit as they dropped their sixth one run loss of the year.
Haley Hirn: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Savannah Zittle: 2-for-4, 3 runs scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Joanna Marmo: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, RBI
Green Terror Leaders
Michaela Persinger: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 2 RBI, 2B, HR
Alicia Wagner: 2-for-5, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, 2B
Morgan Scardina: 1-for-4, 3 runs scored, 1 RBI, SB
Payton Lewis: 1-for-5, 2 RBI
Ginger Lewis: 9.0 IP, 8 hits, 10 runs, 4 earned runs, 6 BB, 9 K (Loss, 8-54)
Cassie Rickrode: 5.0 IP, 8 hits, 5 earned runs, 2 BB, 0 K
Fiona Johnson: 4.0 IP, 4 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 0 BB, 2 K (Win, 5-5)
Score: York 2, McDaniel 2
Hits: York 6, McDaniel 5
Errors: York 1, McDaniel 2
Left on Base: York 9, McDaniel 7
Doubles: York 1, McDaniel 0
Triples: York 0, McDaniel 0
Home Runs: York 1, McDaniel 0
How It Happened
• The Green Terror opened the scoring in the third as Payton Lewis singled up the middle with one out. Lewis was erased on a fielder's choice. Tori Wilkins stole second and moved to third on an Alicia Wagner single as there were runners at the corners. Kristina Shank singled to center field, scoring Wilkins. Wagner made a big turn around third and the Spartans threw behind her to end the inning.
• Freshman Ashley Meekins led off the bottom of the third with a booming home run to left center, tying the game at one. Cassie McGrath then ripped a pinch hit single up the middle. After a pair of fly outs, Savannah Galati doubled to left center, scoring pinch runner Jordan Vazquez with York's second run.
• The Green Terror tied the game in the fifth as Michaela Persinger walked to lead off the inning. She moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and to third on a ground out to third. Wagner then ripped a single to right, tying the game at two.
• The Green Terror had a golden opportunity in the top of the seventh but Spartan pitcher Shyla Pastore got a ground out to end the inning with runners at second and third.
• York got a runner on via an error in the bottom of the seventh but would be unable to score as the game was called due to darkness.
Ashley Meekins: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Cassie McGrath: 1-for-1
Savannah Galati: 1-for-4, RBI, 2B
Green Terror Leaders
Alicia Wagner: 2-for-4, RBI
Kristina Shank: 1-for-3, RBI
Shyla Pastore: 7.0 IP, 5 hits, 2 earned runs, 5 BB, 3 K
Paige Bleyer: 3.0 IP, 4 hits, 2 earned runs, 0 BB, 0 K
Valerie Lamb: 4.0 IP, 2 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 2 K
The game two tie is the first tie since April 28, 2014 when York tied Washington 6-6 in their season finale … York is 1-2-1 in the first four games of their season-high eight game home stand … Spartan pitching combined to walk 11 hitters in 16 innings … conversely, York had walked just 12 batters over their last 15 games … freshman Ashley Meekins continues to slug the ball at an impressive pace as she now has a team-high 59 total bases thanks to five doubles, five triples, and five home runs … Meekins is slugging at .711 … Meekins has scored a team-high 24 runs from her lead off spot in the York lineup … senior Haley Hirn has drawn a team-high 17 walks as she has an on-base percentage of .400.
The Spartans return to action on Friday afternoon as they host nationally ranked Christopher Newport in a Capital Athletic Conference doubleheader at Spartan Stadium. Game one is slated for a 3:00 pm start at Spartan Stadium. The games were originally scheduled for Sunday but the rainy forecast necessitated a move to Friday.