YORK, PA – The York College softball squad split a non-conference doubleheader at home against Elizabethtown on a sunny but brisk Spartan Stadium on Tuesday. The Blue Jays blanked York 4-0 in the opener but the Spartan bats got going in game two as York captured the win 5-3 in the nightcap.
York (Pa.): 18-8
Score: York 0, Elizabethtown 4
Hits: York 3, Elizabethtown 10
Errors: York 0, Elizabethtown 0
Left on Base: York 6, Elizabethtown 6
Doubles: York 0, Elizabethtown 0
Triples: York 0, Elizabethtown 0
Home Runs: York 0, Elizabethtown 2
How It Happened
• After a scoreless two innings, the Blue Jays opened the scoring with a home run to left from lead off hitter Kirstin Blass.
• Elizabethtown added a run on a double steal in the fifth inning as catcher Lindsey Fasolo singled, stole second and moved to third on a Blass single. Fasolo and Blass then pulled off a double steal as the Blue Jays led 2-0.
• The Blue Jays capped the scoring in the top of the seventh as Blass blasted a two-run homer for a pair of big insurance runs.
• The Spartans were never able to solve Blue Jay starter Amber Sergas as she handcuffed the Spartans, allowing just three singles in her complete game shutout. She struck out four and walked one in the shutout.
Ashley Werner: 1-for-3
Madison Bowen: 1-for-3
Shyla Pastore: 1-for-3
Blue Jay Leaders
Kirstin Blass: 3-for-4, 2 runs scored, 3 RBI, SB, 2 HR
Christina Dark: 2-for-3
Brinley Schmidt: 2-for-3
Ginger Lewis: 7.0 IP, 10 hits, 4 earned runs, 0 BB, 13 K (Loss, 8-4)
Amber Sergas: 7.0 IP, 3 hits, 0 runs, 1 BB, 4 K (Win, 5-3)
Score: York 5, Elizabethtown 3
Hits: York 7, Elizabethtown 11
Errors: York 2, Elizabethtown 1
Left on Base: York 4, Elizabethtown 4
Doubles: York 2, Elizabethtown 3
Triples: York 0, FSU 0
Home Runs: York 2, Elizabethtown 0
How It Happened
• The Blue Jays got on the board in the top of the first courtesy of doubles from Kirstin Blass and Emma Varrato for the 1-0 lead.
• York tied the game in the bottom of the second with a long home run to left off the bat of senior Ashley Werner to lead off the frame. York took the lead in the bottom of the third with a two-out solo shot to center by senior catcher Haley Hirn.
• The Spartans got some breathing room in the fourth with a three spot. The Spartans loaded the bases and Julie Van O'Linda plated the first run with a sacrifice fly to center. After a strikeout, Ashley Meekins singled to left, scoring Madison Bowen for the 4-1 lead. Shyla Pastore then scored on a wild pitch, giving York the 5-1 lead.
• Elizabethtown got single runs in the fifth and seventh innings to close out the scoring in the game.
Haley Hirn; 3-for-3, 1 run scored, RBI, HR, 2 2B
Ashley Werner: 2-for-3, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Ashley Meekins: 1-for-3, RBI
Shyla Pastore: 1-for-1, 1 run scored
Blue Jay Leaders
Christina Dark: 3-for-4, 2 RBI, 2B
Kirstin Blass: 2-for-4, 1 run scored, 2B
Emma Varrato: 2-for-4, 2 runs scored, 1 RBI, 2B
Melissa Jurkiewicz: 7.0 IP, 11 hits, 3 earned runs, 0 BB, 6 K (Win, 7-4)
Alyssa Wilkinson: 4.0 IP, 7 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K (Loss, 7-2)
Christina Dark: 2.0 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 BB, 1 K
The Spartans were shutout in the opener for the first time this year … York has split their last three doubleheaders after winning six straight games … the loss in the opener was York's first at home as the Spartans are now 7-1 at home … senior Haley Hirn tied a career-high with three hits while she set a new career-high with her two doubles … the home run is Hirn's 16th of her career and fourth of the season … sophomore Ginger Lewis notched 13 strikeouts in the game one loss and that's the fifth time this year she has reached double figures in K's in a game … senior Melissa Jurkiewicz picked up her 40th career win in the nightcap … the games are the first quarter of the Spartans' season-high eight game home stand with games against McDaniel, Mary Washington and Christopher Newport remaining over the next five days.
The Spartans return to action on Wednesday afternoon as York will host McDaniel College in a non-conference doubleheader. First pitch for game one is slated for 3:00 pm.