YORK, PA – The York College softball squad split a key Capital Athletic Conference road doubleheader on Sunday at Frostburg State University. The Bobcats won game one 2-1 in nine innings but the Spartans rolled past FSU 8-0 in five innings in game two.
The Spartans have won eight of their last ten games
York (Pa.): 17-7, 4-2 CAC
Frostburg State: 13-9, 2-2 CAC
Score: York 1, FSU 2
Hits: York 8, FSU 6
Errors: York 2, FSU 0
Left on Base: York 10, FSU 6
Doubles: York 1, FSU 0
Triples: York 0, FSU 1
Home Runs: York 1, FSU 2
How It Happened
• Game one was pitcher's dual from the start as both hurlers were dealing. Both starters got through the first four innings unscathed. The Spartans got on the board first in the fifth as Ashley Meekins blasted her team-leading fourth home run of the year.
• The Bobcats' Katelyn Meehrling tied the game in the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run.
• York got a pair of runners on in the seventh with two outs but a fielder's choice ended the inning for the Spartans. The Bobcats went in order in the seventh to force extra innings.
• Joanna Marmo led off the eighth inning with a double but she would be left stranded at the end of the frame. The Bobcats also got a threat going in the bottom of the eighth as they had back-to-back singles to start the inning. Spartan starter Ginger Lewis was able to get out of it with a fielder's choice, a pop up and a strikeout as the teams headed to the ninth.
• The game ended in the bottom of the ninth as Taylor McCarty opened the inning with a walk off homer, giving the Bobcats a 2-1 win.
Joanna Marmo: 3-for-4, 2B
Shyla Pastore: 2-for-5
Ashley Meekins: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Sam Gatton: 2-for-4
Katelyn Meehrling: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Taylor McCarty: 1-for-4, 1 run scored, RBI, HR
Ginger Lewis: 8.0 IP, 6 hits, 2 earned runs, 1 BB, 13 K (Win, 8-3)
Frostburg St. Pitching
Allison Short: 9.0 IP, 8 hits, 1 earned run, 2 BB, 6 K (Win, 8-3)
Score: York 8, FSU 0
Hits: York 9, FSU 7
Errors: York 0, FSU 1
Left on Base: York 8, FSU 5
Doubles: York 4, FSU 2
Triples: York 0, FSU 0
Home Runs: York 1, FSU 0
How It Happened
• The Spartans tallied single runs in the first, second and third innings to take control of the game early. Joanna Marmo opened the scoring with an RBI single in the first. Ashley Meekins scored on an error to make it 2-0 York. Senior Ashley Werner doubled in the top of the third to drive in pinch runner Mia Ruffalo for the 3-0 lead. The hit was Werner's 100th career base hit.
• The Green and White closed out the scoring in the fifth as Van O'Linda scored on a passed ball while Savannah Zittle scored on a squeeze bunt to make it 8-0.
• The offensive support would be more than enough for senior Melissa Jurkiewicz as she tossed the complete game shutout. The white washing was Jurkiewicz's sixth of her career.
Joanna Marmo: 3-for-4, 1 RBI, 2B
Haley Hirn: 1-for-2, 1 run scored, 2 RBI, HR
Ashley Meekins: 1-for-4, 1 run scored
Savannah Galati: 1-for-1, 1 RBI, 2B
Ashley Werner: 1-for-2, 1 RBI, 2B
Olivia Ford: 2-for-2
Katelyn Meehrling: 2-for-2
Sam Gatton: 1-for-3, 2B
Melissa Jurkiewicz: 5.0 IP, 7 hits, 0 earned runs, 1 BB, 2 K (Win, 6-4)
Frostburg St. Pitching
Katelyn Meehrling: 3.2 IP, 7 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned runs, 2 BB, 1 K (Loss, 2-4)
The Spartans snapped a four game losing streak to FSU with their win in the nightcap … for the second time this year, a Spartan recorded her 100th career hit … in the win over FSU, senior Ashley Werner notched her career milestone with a double in game two … junior Joanna Marmo recorded her 100th career hit earlier in the year in the win over Franklin & Marshall … York had four doubles in the game two win, tying the second most in a game this season (6 vs. Johnson State on Feb. 25) … York tied their season high with four walks in game two … sophomore Ginger Lewis continues to be a strikeout machine as she recorded 13 more punch outs in the game one loss … the double digit strikeouts marks the fourth time this year that she has reached double figures in a game … junior Joanna Marmo went 6-for-8 with two doubles and an RBI in the doubleheader … the three hits for Marmo are a season-high, one short of her career high of four set on March 3, 2017 against Northwestern (Minnesota).
The Spartans return home on Tuesday afternoon when they host Elizabethtown College in a non-conference doubleheader. Game one is slated for a 3:00 pm start at Spartan Stadium. The doubleheader kicks off an eight game homestand including a pair of key CAC games next weekend against Mary Washington & Christopher Newport.