CLERMONT, Fla. – The York College softball team used a 24-hit performance to defeat Johnson State 26-0 after losing 8-7 to Augustana (Ill.) earlier in the morning in non-conference action in Clermont, Fla. on Sunday. Samantha Kiser threw a one-hitter in the second game of the day, while Savannah Zittle recorded six hits, seven RBI, a pair of doubles and a home run on the second day of the York Spring Break trip.
York (Pa.): 2-2
Augustana (Ill.): 2-1
Johnson St.: 0-1
Game One Stats
Runs: York 7 / Augustana 8
Hits: York 11 / Augustana 9
Errors: York 1 / Augustana 1
Left on Base: York 7 / Augustana 10
York Offensive Leaders
Savannah Zittle: 3-for-3, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 2 2B
Madison Bowen: 2-for-3, 2 runs scored, BB
Ashley Meekins: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored, 3B
Joanna Marmo: 1-for-4, 2 RBI
Augustana Offensive Leaders
Molly Wrenn: 2-for-3, 3 RBI, BB, 2B
Carly Wilson: 2-for-3, run scored
Dina Falk: 2-for-4, run scored, BB
Zayne Blumberg: 0-for-3, 2 RBI, run scored, BB
Shyla Pastore: 3.1 innings pitched, 5 hits, 3 runs, 1 earned run, 2 BB, 1 K
Ginger Lewis: 3.1 innings pitched, 5 hits, 3 runs, 3 earned runs, 2 BB, 2 K
Melissa Jurkiewicz: 0.1 innings pitched, 1 hit, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 3 BB (L, 0-1)
Cecelia Peine: 3.2 innings pitched, 6 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, 3 K
Alivia Phelps: 1.2 innings pitched, 2 hits, 1 run, 1 earned run, 2 BB
Hope Moos: 0.2 innings pitched, 3 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, BB, K (W, 1-0)
Kelcie Fredrickson: 1.0 innings pitched, 0 hits, 0 runs, 3 K
How It Happened
• York ran into some trouble in the top of the first inning, when Dina Falk reached on an error, stole second and then moved to third when Carly Wilson singled to the pitcher. Falk eventually was thrown out at home, but two runners would score in the top of the first, giving Augustana (Ill.) an early 2-0 lead. Falk scored in the top of the second, digging a deeper hole for York.
• The Spartans bounced back in the bottom of the second inning with back-to-back singles from Quinn Fisher and Madison Bowen to give York two base runners with two outs. Ashley Meekins ripped a triple to center field, scoring both Fisher and Bowen to close within a run at 3-2. The next batter was Savannah Zittle, who knocked a double to center, her first of three hits on the day, scoring Meekins. Zittle would come home on a fielding error during Shyla Pastore's at-bat later in the inning. After a four-run second, York led 4-3.
• Bowen continued her hot start to her freshman season with another hit in the bottom of the fourth. She moved to second on a sacrifice bunt from Ashley Werner and scored when Zittle doubled, extending the lead to 5-3.
• In the top of the sixth, however, Augustana broke through. On four hits and four walks, the Vikings scored five runs to race out to an 8-5 lead. But again, the Spartans would bounce back. In the bottom of the sixth, Meekins, Zittle and Eryn Bailey used hits to load the bases with one out, setting up Joanna Marmo. Marmo connected for a single, scoring both Zittle and Meekins, closing the gap to just a run at 8-7. A fielder's choice and a fly out ended the inning, limiting the Spartans to just a pair of runs in the sixth, but put themselves in position to tie or win the game in their at-bats. However, in the bottom of the seventh, Kelcie Fredrickson struck out all three York hitters, preserving an 8-7 win for Augustana, York's second consecutive one-run loss to the Vikings.
Game Two Stats
Runs: York 26/ Johnson St. 0
Hits: York 24/ Johnson St. 1
Errors: York 0/Johnson St. 4
Left on Base: York 8/ Johnson St. 1
York Offensive Leaders
Jordan Vazquez: 3-for-4, 4 RBI, 3 runs scored
Savannah Zittle: 3-for-5, 5 RBI, 3 runs scored
Ashley Meekins: 3-for-5, 4 runs scored, 3 RBI
Joanna Marmo: 2-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs scored
Johnson St. Offensive Leaders
Mikaela Magnant: 1-for-2
Samantha Kiser: 5.0 innings pitched, 1 hit, 0 runs, 4 K (W, 1-0)
Johnson St. Pitching
Kaitlynn Woodward: 1.0 innings pitched, 9 hits, 12 runs, 9 earned runs, 1 BB, 1 K (L, 0-1)
Mikaela Magnant: 4.0 innings pitched, 15 hits, 14 runs, 14 earned runs, 1 K
How It Happened
• Shyla Pastore opened the first inning with a single, and eventually scored on a single from Joanna Marmo. York would score 10 runs in the first inning on eight hits, finishing with a home run from Marmo. Jordan Vazquez and and Pastore both doubled in the opening inning, quickly creating some distance between York and Johnson St. Samanthat Kiser quickly disposed of the first hitters for Johnson St., finishing the first inning up 10-0.
• It was more of the same in the second inning, when Madison Bowen tripled down the left field line to leadoff. She scored when Ashley Meekins reached on an error. Five runners would score for York in the second, including Meekins. Savannah Zittle, who went 3-for-3 in the first game of the day, hit a three-run homer, bringing in Mia Ruffalo and Vazquez.
• Kiser continued her dominant play in the pitching circle, allowing just one hit in five full innings.
• The Spartans were held scoreless in the third and fourth innings, before erupting again in the fifth for 11 runs. Vazquez knocked home Ruffalo and Meekins when she tripled to right field. Meekins doubled when York hit through the lineup, Savannah Galati doubled and the squad recorded 10 hits in the inning, to move ahead 26-0.
York is now 17-8 all-time in Clermont, Fla. … York is 2-2 on this season's Spring Break trip … Savannah Zittle had six hits, seven RBI, two doubles and a home run on the day … Zittle is hitting .545 with eight RBI through four games … Zittle's five RBI against Johnson St. is tied for fourth-most in a game in school history … Madison Bowen went 4-for-5 at the plate on Sunday, after hitting the game-winning three-run triple on Saturday … 10 different Spartans had at least two hits in the second game of the double-header … Ashley Meekins is 5-for-6 with two triples, one double and five RBI through the first two days of the season.
On Tuesday, York continues its Spring Break trip in Clermont, Fla. The Spartans will play Hanover at 2:30 p.m. and then Adrian at 4:30 p.m.