SALISBURY, MD – The York College Spartan softball squad saw their 2016 season come to an end with a bitter 7-6 walk off loss to Frostburg State University in game four of the 2016 Capital Athletic Conference championship tournament.
CAC Tournament Game #4
Final Score: Frostburg State 7 – York (Pa.) 6
Season Game Number: 42
Records: York (25-17) / Frostburg State (25-13)
Site: SU Softball Field – Salisbury, Md.
Winning Pitcher (Record): Hannah Tavik (12-2)
Losing Pitcher (Record): Melissa Jurkiewicz (13-10)
Save (Number): None
How It Happened:
• York jumped on the Bobcats early with two runs in the top of the first frame as Carleigh Ruleman drilled a two run single to right center for the early advantage.
• The Bobcats got one run back in the third as Taylor Blevin had an RBI single to center after a Spartan error allowed the runner to get on with one out in the inning.
• The Bobcats surged out to a 4-2 lead as they dented the plate three times in the fourth inning. Sam Gatton had a two run double to left to start the scoring and Hannah Tavik had an RBI single in the frame.
• York got one run back in the fifth courtesy of an Ashley Werner RBI single with two outs.
• The Bobcats made it 6-3 with two more runs in the bottom of the fifth. Rae Harrison plated the two runs with a two-out RBI single down the right field line.
• The Spartans came storming back in the top of the seventh. The uprising started when Werner singled to right center, moving Savannah Zittle to third. After Werner stole second, Haley Hirn stroked a two run double down the right field line. Ruleman then plated Hirn with a single to left, tying the game at six. York would be unable to take the lead as Hannah Tavik came in to get the final out of the inning.
• The bottom of the seventh was very painful for the Spartans. The inning started with a Lauren Capece single to right center. Ali Caulkins then attempted to sacrifice pinch runner Catherine Kim to second but a key Spartan error allowed Kim to scamper to third with the winning run. Kim would get pegged at home on a fielder's choice as York looked like they may get out of the inning. Spartan pitcher Melissa Jurkiewicz got a ground out back to her for the second out of the inning. York made a second error one batter later as the Bobcats won on a walk off error to advance to Friday's portion of the tournament.
Spartan Offensive Leaders:
Carleigh Ruleman: 2-for-3, 3 RBI, HBP
Ashley Werner: 2-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 run scored, SB
Savannah Zittle: 1-for-4, 2 runs scored
Katie Maloney: 1-for-3, 1 run scored, SB, HBP
Haley Hirn: 1-for-4, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Frostburg State Leaders:
Taylor Blevin: 4-for-4, 1 RBI, 1 Run scored,
Hannah Tavik: 3-for-4, 1 RBI
Lauren Capece: 2-for-3, 2 run scored
Sam Gatton: 1-for-5, 2 RBI, 1 run scored, 2B
Spartan Pitching Leaders:
Courtney Martin: 4.1 IP, 8 hits, 6 runs, 5 earned runs, 3 K, 2 BB
Melissa Jurkiewicz: 2.1 IP, 4 hits, 1 unearned run, 0 BB, 0 K
Frostburg State Pitching Leaders
Ali Caulkins: 6.0 IP, 5 hits, 3 earned runs, 4 K, 1 BB
Allison Short: 0.2 IP, 3 hits, 3 earned runs, 1 BB, 0 K
Hannah Tavik: 0.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs
Game Notes: The Spartans got six runs on eight hits with four errors while Frostburg got seven runs on 12 hits with no errors … the Spartans left side of the infield finished the season with a combined 13 errors while the right side of the infield finished with 23 errors for the season … York falls to 2-6 in one-run games … Frostburg took the season series from the Spartans 2-1 … York is 8-9 when making more than two errors in a game … York falls to 1-11 when trailing after six innings while they are now 0-11 when trailing after five … the four errors in the game were the second highest single game total of the year, bested only by the five miscues committed in the April 11 loss at Salisbury … Junior Katie Maloney will begin her senior year with 137 career hits which ranks her eight on the all-time list, one hit out of seventh place and 15th out of fifth place … Maloney will enter the season 62 hits behind all-time leader Heather Bormann … Maloney has 28 career doubles which sits her seventh as she is 12 two baggers away from becoming the Spartans all-time leader in the category … the Spartans' 25 wins this season is a two-game improvement from last year's 23 wins … York has 48 wins in the last two seasons.
What's Next: The loss ends the Spartans' season. York will return to Spartan Stadium in March of 2017. The Spartans are slated to return their entire roster as there was not a senior on the squad in 2016.
Haley Hirn photo courtesy of Joe Rodgers - Five Star Media