FROSTBURG, MD – The York College men's soccer team had their 2018 campaign come to an end with a 3-1 defeat to the hands of the Frostburg State Bobcats in the first round of the CAC tournament on a wet evening in Frostburg.
Final Score: York 1 – FSU 3
Records: York 10-6-2, (3-2-2), FSU 7-8-3, (3-2-2)
Shots: York 21, FSU 14
Shots on Goal: York 8, FSU 7
Corner Kicks: York 9, FSU 2
Saves: York 4, FSU 7
How It Happened:
• The Bobcats got an early goal in their second straight game against the Spartans with both coming off the head of Brett Basham. This one occurring in the 17th minute as Kaps Kapende headed a ball that got deflected in the air and Basham was in the right spot on the far post and headed it into the open net to kick off the scoring and put York in an early 1-0 hole.
• The Spartans had the majority of possession and were able to generate some good scoring opportunities but unable to beat the Bobcat keeper and York trailed by one at the half.
• The Spartans got the break they were looking for in the 66th minute when Keith Witherell played a ball across the face of the goal and Zion Friday tapped the ball home to tie the game up and give York new life.
• In the 80th minute of play, Mo Odolla played a ball forward that was jostled for between multiple Bobcat and Spartan players and Trevor Namie of Frostburg came out with the ball and lightly placed the ball in the far-right corner to give the Bobcats a late 2-1 advantage.
• With just over two and a half minutes left in regulation, the Spartans were forcing the issue on offense to try to find an equalizer which left their back-end susceptible to a counter and Mo Odolla did just that who beat the sliding Spartan keeper and put York away for good by the score 3-1.
Zion Friday: 1 goal, 2 shots on goal, 4 shots
Keith Witherell: 1 assist
Danny Morgan: 1 shot on goal, 4 shots
Isiah Dorsey: 1 shot on goal, 4 shots
Mo Odolla: 1 goal, 1 assist, 2 shots on goal, 2 shots
Trevor Namie: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 2 shots
Brett Basham: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 90 minutes played, 3 goals against, 4 saves (Loss, 9-6-2)
Joel Assal (FSU): 90 minutes played, 1 goal against, 7 saves (Win, 7-8-2)
York is now 6-3-2 all-time against the Bobcats … this was the second consecutive loss to the Bobcats with the other coming just a week ago in a 1-0 loss at home … the 21 shots the York offense produced was the third-most for a single game this season … the Spartans will graduate five seniors who have donned the Green and White for the final time of their careers … the seniors, Nathan Bilbie, Devin Weiner, Keegan Willson, Tony Mosqueira, and Dan Bechtel will graduate with after helping the team get their most wins since 2013 … the Spartans will return next year to try to claim their first CAC tournament title since 2013.
The Spartans' season comes to a close with the loss. York will return a majority of their starters including nine of their top ten scorers in 2019.