YORK, PA – The York College men's soccer team battled to a 1-1 draw against the Penn State Harrisburg Lions on a humid Wednesday night.
Final Score: York 1 – PSU 1
Records: York 8-3-2, (1-0-2), PSU 13-1-2, (0-1-2)
Shots: York 12, PSU 20
Shots on Goal: York 4, PSU 5
Corner Kicks: York 1, PSU 7
Saves: York 4, PSU 3
How It Happened:
• The Spartans got on the board first with a first-class goal from Barak Amige. He gathered the ball on the left side and unloaded a shot from 30 yards out with the outside of his foot that carried over the Lion keeper and curved into the right side of the net to give York the early 1-0 lead in the 9th minute.
• Defense reigned supreme for the remainder of the half with little opportunities for either side. Both defenses held the other without a shot on goal for the final 36 minutes of the half leaving the score 1-0 Spartans at the break.
• Harrisburg got the tying goal in the 65th minute after a corner kick by the Lions found Christian Schmoyer and played a cross-box pass to the far post where Eric Caldwell poked it past the keeper in the back of the net.
• Both teams created solid chances at the offensive end but were unable to grab the lead and the game headed to overtime still locked up at 1-1.
• The first overtime saw little offensive actions except for one opportunity created by the Lions where a headed ball was saved off the post by a diving Billy Bridegum followed by a defensive save on a rebound by Ethan Lloyd to help keep the game tied and head to a second overtime period.
• The second overtime period generated only three total shots and the defenses held strong ending the game in a 1-1 draw.
Barak Amige: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Keith Witherell: 2 shots on goal, 2 shots
Nathan Bilbie: 2 shots
Eric Caldwell: 1 goal, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Christian Schmoyer: 1 assist, 1 shot on goal, 1 shot
Ethan Hoover: 1 shot on goal, 5 shots
Billy Bridegum (YCP): 110 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Tie, 7-3-2)
Nicholas Guglielmetti (PSU): 110 minutes played, 1 goal against, 3 saves (Tie, 2-1-1)
York is 4-2-1 all-time against the Lions … this was only the second time the Spartans had to play extra time this season, both coming in 1-1 draws in conference play with the other at Mary Washington … Barak Amige scored his second goal of the season early on in the match … the tie also extends the Spartans unbeaten streak to six games … York is now 2-2-1 at home on the season.
The Spartans head back on the road to take on the Captains of Christopher Newport University Saturday evening in a CAC matchup. Kick off scheduled for 7:00 pm.